Need hugs - my dog got into the coop

So sorry to see this post. Hugs from someone who just had the same thing happen yesterday. Can't decide which dog (or maybe both) got mine, but we're in for some serious training time. Hang in there.:aww

I am so sorry. HUGS from Alabama!
hugs.gif

We are still dealing with the death of our babies.
This is a great group of folks! They have really been there for me and I am sure they will be here for you too!

Hi,
I have been through he same thing with my dogs....
I have a training tip that has worked with 4 dogs so far
Put your dog in the submissive position ( on her back with your hand on her throat) and put the chicken directly over her. Keep the chicken over her and release the neck but make sure the dog stays in that position until you decide to take the chicken away and tell the dog to get up. This works best with 2 people ( 1 with the chicken and 1 with the dog).
We know dogs have a pack mentality and in a family situation with weaker animals in the pack the dogs need to be at the bottom of the chain.
D.gif
This will work for also for rabbits, ducks,etc. My sister in law told me of this technique, after she trained her Wire Haired Pointing Griffin (HARD CORE BIRD HUNTING DOG ) this way and now her chickens freerange with that dog laying beside them and goes hunting on the weekends with my brother for grouse
It also worked for me with a new dog we got and it only took a couple times of putting the chicken over her and now she doesn't even look at them.
Sorry for your loss... it is frustrating and sad...
hugs.gif

Try this method... it is a great feeling when you can let the dog out without having to worry about what they are
getting in to

I'm sorry to hear about this. But so you know, now that this dog has the taste in its mouth, it may go back for more. Didn't read all the post so I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Wow, your story really got to me. We have several dogs, German Shorthairs with high pray drive. I have attached invisiable fence to the exisiting fence but I know that an accident could easily happen. All it would take is me forgetting to put the yard collar on a dog and he jumps the fence to the coop.
Your dog was just being a dog, try not to be too mad at him/her, just do your best to dog proof the araa.

I pray the other chick is okay and I pray your heart heals quickly.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom