Need ideas for how to gate with electric netting …

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
I’m looking at using electric netting off the back of my run. Is there a way to make a gate with it so that I can enter, let my chickens out and then leave?

Attachments

• 33EDA757-47BA-4211-96DF-1115A91D3BCA.jpeg
    33EDA757-47BA-4211-96DF-1115A91D3BCA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 85
I’m looking at using electric netting off the back of my run. Is there a way to make a gate with it so that I can enter, let my chickens out and then leave?
IMG_20201217_080422408.jpg

I made gates from ripped pressure treated 2x4s covered in 1/2" hardware cloth mounted to a treated fence post set so and 52" is above ground. They swing relatively tight to the ground.
If you put the gate at the end of the netting you don't need to jump the fence under the gate with a lead out wire. I did. Twice. I have a second gate that I use to drive the tractor in for mowing. Both gates swing OUT for the above pictured reason.

View attachment 2731356
I made gates from ripped pressure treated 2x4s covered in 1/2" hardware cloth mounted to a treated fence post set so and 52" is above ground. They swing relatively tight to the ground.
If you put the gate at the end of the netting you don't need to jump the fence under the gate with a lead out wire. I did. Twice. I have a second gate that I use to drive the tractor in for mowing. Both gates swing OUT for the above pictured reason.
@DobieLover - Thanks! So your "gate" is not electrified? The 1-roll netting I'm looking at is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016IXLN08/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A16W0XGCZ90BNA&psc=1
But maybe I need two separate rolls to accomplish something similar to what you have ... ?

@DobieLover - Thanks! So your "gate" is not electrified? The 1-roll netting I'm looking at is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016IXLN08/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A16W0XGCZ90BNA&psc=1
But maybe I need two separate rolls to accomplish something similar to what you have ... ?
No. The gate is not electrified. It would be decidedly difficult to get in and out of the pen without getting shocked if it were.
I bought from Kencove. I got three 164' x 42" high green wire netting rolls and enough extra posts to double the number the fence comes with.
If you put the gate into the pen next to your coop, you could use a single roll if that will make a large enough pen for you.

Of course, you could do something with your hand, but considering I don't have much time and imagination to deal with such things, I always turn to the Dallas Gate Company when I need something about the gate. I like how everyone presents their so-called works, and I am amazed when I see something like that. I remember what a human hand can do with some construction materials. but for those in my group, you which companies you turn to, I would like to make a comparison. However, I will not change my favorite company to others, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course, you could do something with your hand, but considering I don't have much time and imagination to deal with such things, I always turn to the Dallas Gate Company when I need something about the gate. I like how everyone presents their so-called works, and I am amazed when I see something like that. I remember what a human hand can do with some construction materials. but for those in my group, you which companies you turn to, I would like to make a comparison. However, I will not change my favorite company to others, and I was pleasantly surprised.
Does the DGC come here?

Premier 1 sells a gate to use with their electric poultry netting. It is a hot gate. There is an easy system to open and close the gate without having to touch any part that is electrified.

I was very confused at the title. If you put in a gate/door off the coop/run then just put some hooks on both sides to tie the end posts to. Personally I'm moving my netting frequently. So I try to always set up the area so that the charger is in the best as can be done spot (like the closest point when walking to it) so I can unclip from the battery, leg over, do chores, leg over and re-clip the battery.
I got small 2 joule chargers and switch out batteries that I charge in the house. I took a 5gal bucket and below the lip drill a hole in each side. One side take some wire and hang the charger and put the ground wire through. On the other side put through the wire to the fence-clip. This way when I move it I can pull the wire inside so just the clip hangs out, then wind the ground wire around the bucket and hold it and the ground rod, and my other hand carry the bucket.
I have one for the chicken fence and one for the sheep fence. I got snap on lids so it's real simple.

Back
Top Bottom