NEED IDEAS/HELP PLEASE!

keckhart

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Hi all! This may sound odd, but my daughter has a science fair and she needs to have a project. It needs to be a project that poses, and answers a question and documents the progress/findings, etc.

She REALLY wants to do something with the chickens - we are very new to chickens - have 9 total now - 3 confirmed cockerels and 6 we think are pullets (so far). I cannot for the life of me think of what we can do. If they were laying then that would make it easier to do something with the eggs, like nutrition, etc....but ours are about 13 weeks now. Obviously it cannot jepordize the health or welfare of our little ones, but there has to be something she can do regarding chickens?!?
hu.gif

Does ANYONE have any ideas?? She has to turn in her proposal tomorrow. She's in the 5th grade :)

Thanks in advance for any input!!

bow.gif

She could try teaching them a trick using different rewards, to see which is more effective. I might try food as a reward in one group and affection as a reward in a different group.

Possibly the difference in health and nutrition value from a store bought commercial egg and a farm fresh egg. I know for a fact my mom gets sick when she eats a store bought egg but when she eats the eggs from my chickens they don't bother her at all. I know it sounds fishy but I've seen it with my own eyes. Just a thought.

How about language? Chickens have definite linguistics, complete with syntax. She could learn what their various phrases mean.

I've spent considerable time with my chickens, and I was surprised to learn that they are born already knowing and speaking their language. A baby chick right out of the egg will utter the exact same phrases as the adults, with accents on all the right notes to denote different meanings.

For example, a five-note phrase with the accent on the third note means, "here comes our human!"

Another five-note phrase, almost identical to this first one, but with all the notes the same emphasis means, "here comes a strange person or animal!" It's usually uttered in a somber tone and can be quite erie.

If she listens very carefully, she will be able to learn many of their phrases, depending on what it is they're doing. Most people think all chickens simply squawk and cluck. However, every sound they make means something specific. This study could be extremely interesting both to your daughter and her class.

Go on youtube and watch The Private Life of Chickens.
They do an experiment with feed trays to see if chickens can distinguish shapes. It'd be easy to reproduce and the chickens get treats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom