Need ideas on how to finish this coop

liaanne17

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
This is a 8 x 5 coop I'm building and I'm really stumped on how to finish it

Last edited:
I have the same question about my own coop right now, so no advice to offer. Just wanted to say that the coop looks great so far

Welcome1 It's tiny; are you getting three birds max? If the framing was for the coop (forty sq. ft.) you could have maybe eight birds, and then add a run. As it is, how are you going to clean it out? It is going to be cute, but not very practical. Picture of plans? Mary

What's got you stumped? Do you need construction advice or design advice?

I'd put a large access door on one of the gable ends. I'd put exterior nest boxes on the other gable end. I'd put adjustable vents or a window on the back side for ventilation. I'd enclose the run in 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I'd make a large door on the end of the run for human access. I'd also make one side of the area under the coop a hardware cloth panel, hinged so it could be opened to allow you to access the area underneath the coop easily. I'd put on a shingle roof.

I agree not very practical. I made one similar for a grow out coop for 3 bantams. Here is what we did.

Clean out door and one of 2 vents.

run cover with shade cloth on pvc frame

The run opened for tending by sliding in a track made from 1x3's

I agree you would need to put a hinged section on the lower under the coop in case you need to get in there for anything.

This was a total pain in the butt to clean and very small. It was 4x8. The run lid was held up when open by 2 2x4's acting as legs. I was restricted on height by the shrubs and trees near it. It should have been made higher. The under the coop height was only 14 inches and that meant to clean the coop I had to be on my knees.

You could raise your height by making a frame extension on what you already have. Trust me it would be worth it. I would also do the shingled roof. Windows that you can open will help cool it off in the heat of the day.
You can mount the feeder on the clean out door to save space as well. I did that in the hospital coop.

More pics of the hospital coop.

The chicken door sliding to the side was a pain when the track would get full of shavings. I needed it that way for the window above to not be blocked. There are also windows on both of the short sides.
The underneath looks low but after the framing was actually 18 inches. Those 4 inches made a difference in the cleaning/ pain aspect.

I hope this helps.

I would take apart pallets and cut and use as walls. Enclose the entire house part and wire the square run area.

Back
Top Bottom