Serious Question : Heated Towel Rack, Okay in Chicken Coop?

Captain Ron Jr

Hatching
Feb 6, 2024
Just finished building a home, and have an extra heated towel rack. Its scratched so can't sell it. Do you think it would be okay to install in the coop, and would the chickens like it? I was thinking on installing it flat or slant - but in the air for safety of fire. It does not get crazy hot, just warm.

What a great baby brooder tool that could be! If you put a towel over the whole thing and press n seal, it'd be just like a brooder plate or MHP. For adult chickens however, I guess it would change the ambient temp like a heater? To me it would not be worth the electric bill to just change the temp slightly if at all. But that's just me, my coop is warm enough due to insulation. I'm just really intrigued by the idea of a brooder heat source for baby chicks.... AND..... Welcome to BYC! :welcome

I'd be worried they'd roost on it and hurt their feet, but maybe chickens would be smarter than I give them credit for... I'd vote no to be on the safe side.

Welcome to BYC!!!

Just finished building a home, and have an extra heated towel rack. Its scratched so can't sell it. Do you think it would be okay to install in the coop, and would the chickens like it? I was thinking on installing it flat or slant - but in the air for safety of fire. It does not get crazy hot, just warm.
You can still sell it. Someone won't care if it's scratched. Just post pictures with full disclosure and price accordingly.

Unless you have a literally brutal winter climate there should be no need to heat the coop. You need copious ventilation without direct drafts on roosted birds.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom