Need Ideas on raising Humidity in LG

4roosandahen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I am having humidity issues with my LG. I can't seem to get it past 40% and yes, I have checked batteries on my hydrometer and bought a new hydrometer so now I have two and a water wiggler in the LG.
tongue.png
The hydrometers both read around the same. I have a cool mist humidifier in the room with the door closed. The temp on the still air LG is at 101. Wells are full of distilled water, there is a sponge in a small jar in the LG it also has water in it. My LG is sitting on a dresser no drafts in room(warmest room in the house upper 70's). Interesting as it is my room humidifier can only seem to get the room to a low normal on the humidity meter it has. I keep it running 24 hrs and I do know that at this point my humididty is ok(eggs are due to hatch on March 17th) My problem is how do I get it bumped up to around 80% when it is time to increase the humidity? Any suggestions???
hmm.png
I am being a worried hen:D . Hey, maybe I am nesting, lol

Thanks again,
Stephenie

I personally don't get my humidity to 80% on day 18, I normally go for 65-70%. But to increase my humdity I put wet cotton balls in until I get the humidity where I want it.
This is just me and other might have a better idea.

jackie

80 is too high. The chicks won't do well. Shoot for 65.
I fill the wells and take a couple paper towels, fold and wet them,
and place them to the sides of the wells. It's worked like a charm for
me. If you load the wells and towels on day 18 you should get to 65%
through day 21. If you have to add more water you can just poor it
through the mess floor onto the towels. I'll usually end up with a little
water coming out the vent holes in the bottom tray but that is ok.

Filters from room humidifiers are excellent.

They wick moisture from trays very effectively .... much better than sponges or towle, etc.

They are a little more expensive tho, but they are designed to do eggsactly what we want them to.

Here is somthing that helped me with my LG cause the humidity would not budge. I took the bottom of the LG and filled in the holes! My DH put glass/glue like stuff to fill the holes and that way I was able to fill more water int he bottom of it. I was able to get it between 65-75%. Though I think anything above 70% will drown the babies, this tacktic worked like a charm!
smile.png
smile.png
I kept the humidity at about 68-69% and I was so happy!

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom