Need ideas!

abbygibson1212

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Missouri
Okay so I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately trying to figure out what exactly I want to do with my life, and I know that I want to do something with animals! (Not a vet though). I live in the country, I'm 19, I don't have a job or college to work around right now, and I have a pretty hefty chunk of money in the bank. So I'm totally ready to start something for myself but I have no idea what I should do. I'm not very creative. I don't want to go out and get a "regular job" and be a part of the system (that's the hippie in me talking) and I really don't need a whole lot of money, I'm single and I plan on being pretty self sufficient (garden, chickens, maybe a milk cow, etc.). I was thinking maybe I should invest in cattle? I've also raised dogs a bit in the past (I know some people don't agree with this, difference of opinions). I wish I could do something with chickens but it's not really possible to profit off chickens without having a chicken barn or full blown hatchery. So! What I wanna know is if anyone has any good ideas for me? Or maybe even some things that have worked for you in the past?

Okay, so I am gonna sound like a mom for a minute. You are young yet and have the whole world to conquer and you may change your mind as you get older. I would look into colleges, even if it is a trade school that focuses on the care of animals.... a vet assistant aka the nurses of the vet world or even being a vet. That knowledge will remain with you forever and help as you choose to go independently in life raising animals. Do the hard stuff now while you are young. it makes for an easier life when you are older. Good LUCK!!!!!

I'm going to agree with mom.

it's amazing how quickly money disappears, even being frugal, when there is no income coming in.

these next years for you are very important, helping build your adult foundation.

a degree is something no one can ever take away from you.

You're getting another Mom here! You sound just like my 18 year old daughter who just graduated from high school! I encouraged her to do Vet Tech at the local technical college as well. She doesn't want school right now and she also has a lot of money saved up. So, no school, no real need for money right now...go volunteer and get experience! Right now my daughter volunteers at the local humane society and will be going to volunteer at the humane society's farm property. Experience is also valuable and you may find out what you really like that way! (My daughter also wants a cow!) She thought she wanted to be a florist at one point and volunteered at a florist...well she found out she HATED it as a career! Most of all, don't stress about it! You have the rest of your adult life for that!
1f60a.png

@Bridebeliever Good idea with volunteering! Even if I wanted to go to school id probably have to wait until spring to sign up, and I just wanna start doing something! (Mostly I'm bored). Volunteering sounds like a good idea to get experience though until I figure out what I want to do. Do you have any idea if it's possible to get an actual job at an animal shelter? I've been wondering this.

And I do know that I'll need to be making money at some point in time. But I won't need as much as some people, I won't have a house or car payment, and my grocery bill will be a lot less if I grow a lot of my own food, and so on. My parents think I should start getting some beef cattle, since we have land to put them on and I have money to get started. But I'd like to make sure I'm not missing out on a better opportunity before I invest my money. My friend suggested doing something with therapy animals, I don't know much about that.
Im sure I'll have to get some sort of little job sometime, but I really want to farm and do things with animals!

Yes, I'm sure you could apply for a job there! My daughter wanted the flexibility of being a volunteer because they set their own hours.

There is a lost treasure in our country. Once upon a time people (usually young men because of it being the 1800's!) used to "apprentice", learn from a skilled person but not get paid other than room and board. I still believe in this philosophy. No real risk to the "employer" but you learn valuable skills and even find out if you like the trade! And you can always go from a volunteer to an employee if you turn out to be good and reliable! I would even consider ask a vet if you can volunteer! Cleaning, walking animals, and other menial tasks. You may actually move up to vet tech that way without going to school!

I admire your enthusiasm but I too have to agree with lindalouly too. Animals take a considerable amount of care. Even when we give them the best feed, housing, TLC, etc. problems just happen. Unexpected situations and vet bills can drain income very quickly.

Start small and build on what you have slowly as you get familiar with the proper care - Chickens, ducks, rabbits (in other words a few small animals) are a good start. As far as cattle, you need a minimum of 2 acres with just one and you will be purchasing an incredible amount of hay to feed them in the winter. Get several years of experience before you even consider cattle.

It always looks easier on paper, but animal husbandry can be hard work and you have to be dedicated to it. A normal work week for an average worker is 8 hours a day 5 days a week. A farmer (agriculture or livestock) averages around 16 hours a day 7 days a week.

If you are really interested in a self sustaining lifestyle you should look into courses on animal husbandry. If you can manage it, an education for vet assistant would be good knowledge to use for when you encounter health issues or injuries and is a good back up plan if/whwn you find that you need to work for a business to earn an income (to pay vet bills, equipment, feed, land, housing, taxes, etc., etc., etc.).

I'm not trying to dash your hopes, but you need to understand that it is not as simple as it seems. With a little planning, some education, a bit of experience, and time, you will eventually be able to live your dream if it is still what you want to do.

I have chickens, dogs cats, and horses right now, I've had rabbits, ducks, and goats in the past. My grandpa and two of my uncles own cattle, and I've helped my grandpa a lot with his through out my life. I know I don't know everything, but I do already know quite a bit about it, and I know all of the requirements (like 2 acres per cow and such). I do realize that having animals will be a lot more work than a full time job, and that's totally okay with me. When I think about jobs and school I have zero motivation, when I think about working with animals (or in the past when I've helped my grandpa and when I raised dogs, etc.) it's like I have unlimited amounts of motivation, I don't have any problem getting up early, working all day and staying up late, working with animals is definitely what I'm passionate about. But I do NOT want to be a vet, or work in a veterinary clinic.

Back
Top Bottom