Need ids and genders please!

Kevinsl06

Chirping
Aug 6, 2021
Hello. Can you help me with gender and ids for the following chickens? The hatch dates of these vary from June 25 to July 6, 2022. I *think* they are all pullets except #5, who I think is a roo, (possible Isbar). #1 & #4 have some feathering on their feet. #11 is fully feathered legs, feet. I can't recall if any of the others have any but I don't think so.

Breeds that I expect to have: Black Copper Maran, Isbar, Cream Legbar, Crested Cream Legbar, Pavlovskaya (#11). I also have 4 "rare breed" chicks from this batch that I got at Tractor Supply, so they could be anything. I have lost a few from the original chicks and I have no idea which ones. So I may not have 4 "rare breed" anymore. I have no idea.

Thank you!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Can you help me with gender and ids for the following chickens? The hatch dates of these vary from June 25 to July 6, 2022.

Breeds that I expect to have: Black Copper Maran, Isbar, Cream Legbar, Crested Cream Legbar, Pavlovskaya (#11). I also have 4 "rare breed" chicks from this batch that I got at Tractor Supply, so they could be anything. I have lost a few from the original chicks and I have no idea which ones. So I may not have 4 "rare breed" anymore. I have no idea.
Did you buy those breeds? Or get them from someone's flock that contained those breeds? (I'm trying to figure out if they are all pure breed chicks, or if they could be mixes of those breeds.)

I'm not used to seeing "Cream Legbar" and "Crested Cream Legbar" as separate breeds. The crested ones seem to be the only kind I see. (I'm assuming you are in the USA like me, because you mention getting chicks from Tractor Supply. I am aware that people in other countries often have access to different breeds than we do.)

#1 & #4 have some feathering on their feet.
From your list of breeds, I think the Marans and Pavlovskaya are the only ones that would have any feathering on the feet. Since those two are clearly not Pavlovskaya, they would have to be either Marans or some of your "rare breed" chicks.

Crested Cream Legbars would have crests. #12 is the only crested bird I see (other than #11 the Pavlovskaya.) So I think that is the only possible Crested Cream Legbar.

1 Australorp or black Marans, maybe. Pullet.

2 Pullet. Maybe an Easter egger or Kraienkopp

3 Pullet. Unsure of breed.

4 is maybe a Marans. Not sure about sex with this one.

5 is a cockerel and looks like an Isbar.

6, 7, 8 are pullets. I guess they could be non-crested Legbars. Look a lot like Bielefelders, too.

9 looks like maybe a gold Campine or Braekel cockerel.

10 Pullet. Maybe Easter egger.

11 is your Russian Pavlovskaya. Pullet so far.

12 Pullet. Maybe Legbar, but looks more like an Easter egger to me.

13, 14, 15 are pullets. Maybe Easter eggers or just plain mixes. Not really sure.

A few of these came from Tractor Supply. I can't remember now exactly what I got, except I know a few of them were Cream Legbars and 4 were surprise rare variety birds. Mostly I hatched from hatching eggs from Foxfire Pavillions on ebay. Those eggs were marked at Black Copper Marans, Isbars and Pavlovskaya, Crested Cream Legbar.

I didn't realize all Cream Legbars were crested and now I am very confused because several of these should have been CL. I thought that 6, 7, 8 were most likely CL from Tractor Supply.

Nonetheless, I did think everything was pure bred that I was buying unless the store made a mistake (which I know could happen). But then it should be a recognizable hybrid I would suspect.

Oh well, it is not that big of a deal that I know what they are. Just curious. Maybe when they lay eggs that will help determine something.

A few of these came from Tractor Supply. I can't remember now exactly what I got, except I know a few of them were Cream Legbars and 4 were surprise rare variety birds. Mostly I hatched from hatching eggs from Foxfire Pavillions on ebay. Those eggs were marked at Black Copper Marans, Isbars and Pavlovskaya, Crested Cream Legbar.

I didn't realize all Cream Legbars were crested and now I am very confused because several of these should have been CL. I thought that 6, 7, 8 were most likely CL from Tractor Supply.

Nonetheless, I did think everything was pure bred that I was buying unless the store made a mistake (which I know could happen). But then it should be a recognizable hybrid I would suspect.

Oh well, it is not that big of a deal that I know what they are. Just curious. Maybe when they lay eggs that will help determine something.
By that age, their adult appearance will be easier to judge as well, in contrast to these youngsters.

They might be Legbar-cross Easter Eggers. Those are starting to be fairly common, and might have been mis-labeled in Rractor Supply.

Maybe when they lay eggs that will help determine something.
Yes, that can help. Any puzzling chicken that lays blue or green eggs is definitely an Easter Egger (since that just means it lays colored eggs but doesn't belong to any recognized breed.) For quite a few years, it has been common for Easter Eggers to look like wanna-be Ameraucanas, but the Legbar-mix ones are now becoming fairly common too.

Mostly I hatched from hatching eggs from Foxfire Pavillions on ebay. Those eggs were marked at Black Copper Marans, Isbars and Pavlovskaya, Crested Cream Legbar.

I don't know anything about that particular seller, so I can't say how likely their chickens are to be true to the breed standard. It's quite possible for someone to think they have a particular breed, but have poor stock or mixes, especially if they are themselves relatively new to chickens. It's also quite possible that their stock is just fine, and all the confusing birds came from Tractor Supply.

Oh well, it is not that big of a deal that I know what they are. Just curious.

In that case, here are my guesses:

1 Black Copper Marans (but I can't see the comb: if it does not have a single comb, then it must be something else. If it has a pea comb, it is probably an olive egger, most likely a cross of Marans and Ameraucana or Easter Egger.)

2 Easter Egger

3 I'm not recognizing this one. Any appearance COULD be an Easter Egger, but some appearances are more common than others, and this is not the most common one.

4 Black Copper Marans

5 Maybe Isbar? I don't know enough about them to be sure. Looks male to me.

6, 7, 8 Legbar-mix Easter Egger, or poor quality Legbar (no crest would definitely be poor quality!)

9 I can't see it well enough to be sure, but might be a Golden Campine (presumably one of your rare breeds.) I think it's male.

10 Easter Egger

11Pavlovskaya

12 Crested Cream Legbar, or another Legbar-mix Easter Egger. I'm not good at telling the purebreds from the mixes, other than looking for obvious points like whether they have a crest.

13, 14 maybe more Easter Eggers, likely Legbar-mixes

15 Easter Egger

I did not guess "Isbar" for any of them, because I'm not familiar enough with Isbars to recognize them. Some of the Legbar-like ones or other puzzling ones might actually be Isbars. I think they can have a rather variable appearance, but I don't know what variations are or are not possible for them.

Back
Top Bottom