Need immediate help to save juvenile roo

It absolutely breaks my heart to inform everyone that Elvis has left the building.
hit.gif

He was doing so great when I last posted (my husband never did send me the pic from his phone) and then he developed an upper respiratory infection. I can only assume it's because the Prednisone knocked his immune system down. He was wheezing and wet sounding. We put him back on the antibiotic but he went backwards so fast. He was doing somersaults every time he leaned forward and we'd find him just laying on his side. Several times he was laying on his back with his feet in the air. He was struggling to stand and couldn't seem to get his breath.

I went back to feeding and hydrating him but he just couldn't kick the infection. My husband called a vet he knows and the recommendation was to put him out of his misery since most upper respiratory conditions that bad will kill them anyway. So, between the infection and what was seeming to be permanent brain damage my husband helped him on his way.

He is buried behind where we are building the new chicken coop and we are going to call it the Elvis Pavilion.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and support.

hugs.gif
I am sorry, too, to hear of the loss of Elvis. At least he knew love and care in his last days. Bless you for trying and giving him the very best chance. I learned a ton as i'm sure others following Elvis' story did. Chickening is not for the faint of heart. *sigh*

Best,
Bogtown
~Amy

Oh Anela, I'm so sorry. Some will never understand the attachment we development for these sillly birds with the beautiful personalities. I know it can be heartbreaking, and it's even worse that we tell ourselves that we're being stupid to feel pain over the loss of a chicken! But we do, anyway. And if you do, you're not alone.

Thank you all so much. As you can see, I haven't been back on for a while. It was very hard for me. I still get teary eyed thinking about him. I had grown very attached to Elvis and really, really wanted him to be OK. I've come to terms with the fact that I did everything possible for him and gave him the best chance I could.

I'd like you all to meet my new little guy. My husband felt so horrible that we couldn't save Elvis that he searched around and found a wonderful lady about 50 miles away that raises and sells hens and roos. She even ships them in from all over the world since there is so little variance in what you can get here. She has some awesome chickens and some of the most beautiful roosters I've ever seen.

We went out there and this is the baby I brought home.

He's only 3 months old. We've named him Rooster Cogburn and we are certainly hoping he has True Grit.
big_smile.png

So far so good. He's very tame. He's already herding the 5 little hens I got for Xmas around. However, now that they are a little older, I think the 5 little hens are Golden Comets, not Buffs.

Back
Top Bottom