Need immediate help to save juvenile roo

What are the cc limits to the area? I'm sure under the wing can take less than the leg/body space.... Estimates are fine.

For example in humans IM shots in the upper arm muscle --not recommended to go above 1 cc. and IM shots to the glut not to go above 3 cc.

This could be apples and oranges with chickens and sub cutaneous....but if there's so point of reference on what amount is best per location that would help a new person doing this....
I found this in http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/Birds and Exotics_MCannon.pdf

1. Fluid Deficit is an assessment based on some practical assumptions. Dehydration can be assumed to be present in any bird suffering from trauma or infectious disease. Redig (1984 b) has a suggested table of levels of assumed dehydration (see Table 2) but I find this is usually not applicable to most of the small birds I am dealing with. In most situations it is not harmful to assume a level of 10% dehydration for most of the birds that are brought into a veterinary practice. A precise quantity of fluid required to correct dehydration is not crucial since periodic re-evaluation of the patient’s response to therapy will permit the initial estimate to be revised as necessary.
e.g.
present weight = 150g
assume deficit = 10%
fluid deficit = 150 x 0.10 = 15g
Since 1mL weighs 1g fluid deficit = 15mL

Subcutaneous fluids can be used in kids, dogs, and cats as well as chickens. You could practice this easily on a whole chicken from the grocery store--just insert the needle into the space between the skin and muscle. You could also practice giving shots with the same chicken. Then you could roast it for dinner.

Last edited:
Subcutaneous fluids can be used in kids, dogs, and cats as well as chickens.  You could practice this easily on a whole chicken from the grocery store--just inert the needle into the space between the skin and muscle.  You could also practice giving shots with the same chicken.  Then you could roast it for dinner.

I'm pretty good with cats and dogs and could probably do IV fluids on horses if I had to, but I haven't quite mastered poultry.

-Kathy

I'm pretty good with cats and dogs and could probably do IV fluids on horses if I had to, but I haven't quite mastered poultry.

-Kathy
It is much easier to do with a butterfly needle that can be taped flat on the skin while giving the fluid, at least on a child, LOL. This is considered archaeic medicine in pediatrics nowadays, but was a lifesaver many years ago before manufacturers started making 22 and 24 gauge IV catheters for babies. It was very safe and great when you had a dehydrated kid with poor veins. Problems would exist for most people in getting normal saline or ringers for IV use, plus the tubing and IV needles.
excel%20butterfly.jpg
Here is a butterfly needle.

Prescriptions needed for the saline and ringers.
We bought our last bags online through a dental supply company and didn't need a prescription, but most vets will sell you a bag if you have an established relationship with them.

-Kathy

Last edited:
So, we've been going absolutely crazy around here with that litter of pups. One had to have surgery for a prolapsed anus a few days ago. Operating on very few hours of sleep waiting for a foster to take them. Plus we've all been sick for 3 days.

The good news ---- Elvis is CROWING!!!!!

He started yesterday. He was running around outside and he heard a rooster in the distance and answered. It was so cool. I'll take a pic today of his new day enclosure he hangs out in. He still sleeps inside at night and woke up this morning crowing.

He still has balance problems but he's gotten really good at catching himself with his wings and continuing on. He can't make sharp turns and does big loops instead, but he runs.

Tiny steps forward every day. My husband isn't sure he'll ever recover fully, but we'll see. It may just take a while.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom