Need immediate help to save juvenile roo

Anela

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
Maricopa, AZ
I've been talking to some people for a week about a roo they have for sale. He's getting picked on by the older rooster they already have. Hubby and I decided yesterday to get him - they are 75 miles away but he is gorgeous. Told the people we'd be there today.

When I called today to let them know we are on our way they inform me that their other roo that's about 3 times bigger attacked my little guy last night and they're not sure if he's going to live.

We decided to go get him anyway and nurse him ourselves. We're just sickened they let this happen to him - he's only 7 months old.

My husband called when he picked him up and tells me he only gives him a 10% chance. He's not physically injured that he can see - there was no blood. However, he's completely lethargic, won't stand and when he does he falls over. The people we got him from have been forcing water into him orally with a syringe overnight and put him under a heat lamp.

I'm thinking shock.

Any ideas? I'd really like to save him. I've had tons of chickens and roosters over the years, but I've never had this problem before and am at a complete loss.

This is a pic of him.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

I'm new to poultry (I have quail) and maybe others will say this advice is wrong-- but instead of straight water, maybe some gatorade solution to get some sugar and electrolytes into him? Or maybe some baby bird formula watered down? And keep him warm of course. When I had an injured parakeet I put her in a small cage indoors with a heating pad on low under the small carry cage and she perked right up. Also if you have spent that time and gas money to get the rooster, maybe you should take it to the vet and get some IV fluids into it. It will probably respond way better to IV fluids than trying to feed it through its mouth. Hope he makes it! Please update when you can.

Last edited:
I immediately started doing research when my husband called and have found that an electrolyte/sugar solution is best. I've already got some made waiting for him. I've also set up a little ICU until in the house with heat. One of the articles I read said that Vitamin C is the first thing lost so I cut up some oranges for him too and they're waiting as well.

My roosters fought now and then, but not very often. It was more a boys will be boys thing with mine. I've never had one injured this way.

If he's not doing any better by Monday I'll call the vet and see what they suggest. There was a blog I just read and the lady's hen had a concussion and acted the same way Elvis (that's his name) is acting and it took about 3 days for her to start to come out of it and a week to fully recover.

Welcome to BYC. Let me just say that being lethargic and not being able to stand can also be a sign of a serious disease, and maybe an infectious one to other chickens. Do you trust this seller that he wouldn't sell you a sick rooster? I hope he didn't charge you for this bird, since he didn't expect it to live. Sorry to be suspicious of the seller, but these things happen. Roosters do fight, but there is usually a bloody comb or some other sign of being attacked. Just be sure to keep him in quarantine for 30 days without disease symptoms before you introduce him. I do hope he lives. This is a great forum for advice, so I wish you the best. Scrambled eggs and moistened chicken feed with the electrolyte water would be very good to feed him. Good luck.

Last edited:
Let me just say that being lethargic and not being able to stand can also be a sign of a serious disease, and maybe an infectious one to other chickens.  Do you trust this seller that he wouldn't sell you a sick rooster?  I hope he didn't charge you for this bird, since he didn't expect it to live.  Sorry to be suspicious of the seller, but these things happen.  Roosters do fight, but there is usually a bloody comb or some other sign of being attacked.  Just be sure to keep him in quarantine for 30 days without disease symptoms before you introduce him.  I do hope he lives.  This is a great forum for advice, so I wish you the best.  Scrambled eggs and moistened chicken feed with the electrolyte water would be very good to feed him.  Good luck.

X2
Thats a good point Eggcessive.

He is very pretty Rooster. Hopefully he will be fine. You could tube feed him.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Deworm him and treat him for mites and lice. See what his poop looks like as well.

Valbazen dosage on this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606881/valbazen-de-worming-question

Safeguard:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...er-for-chickens-can-it-be-used-in-their-water
Kathy has good info at the bottom of this thread. #14
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/688579/fowl-pox-what-to-do-with-flock#post_12532231

Only force water into him as a last resort. If you're not tubing past the trachea you could get water into his lungs and complicate his issues. If you're using a dropper try stroking the bottom of his beak and down his throat to prepare him for your touches, then put the water in the base of his beak and allow him to swallow on his own. Before that, though, I would suggest putting the water in a spoon and holding it to the bottom of his beak; he should automatically drink a little. If things are desperate, there are others here who can talk you through how to tube him.

And poly-vi-sol infant vitamins withOUT iron are great for chickens. You can find them in the pharmacy section with the vitamins.

That is an excellent point (about it possibly being an illness) but I don't think it's the case here. When I called the woman this morning she was horrified and said - "Didn't my husband call you last night?" Then proceeded to tell me what had happened. I don't think she was lying about it. When we originally talked to her she wanted to place him because (1) he was a surprise in the last batch they bought from the hatchery and (2) their Barnevelder rooster was picking on him. They wanted to make sure he was going to a home and not a cookpot.

They originally wanted $40 for him and last I spoke with her was to see if they would give us a money back guarantee. She said yes - another reason I don't think he's sick. However, when my husband got there and saw the condition he was in he refused to give them a dime. He told them we'd nurse him and if he lives, we'll pay them then. The husband didn't want to agree but the wife (who was in tears over what happened) said yes.

Last edited:
OK, so Elvis has arrived. I submitted the post I was in the process of writing so I could write this one instead.

Thanks so much for threads and links to look at - I'll do that in just a little bit.

He was laying on his side in the box and his head hung down and to the left when I picked him up. We used the plunger part of the syringe (without the needle on it) and held it in the side of his beak toward the back and just barely leaked the electrolyte solution out. He did drink it.

He perked up a little and then his head would drop back down. I held him while I put half an orange to his beak and let his beak rest on it. He started drinking the juice and then was pecking at the orange a little and has eaten almost a quarter of the orange half. He perked up quite a bit then and was looking around and struggling just a little in my arms like he wanted to get down.

I held him to the floor and he tried to take a couple steps but then started to fall over and just rolled with the fall and laid there. I picked him back up, gave him more orange and as long as I'm holding him he seems like he's doing better. He IS doing much better than when he arrived. He's much more alert. He even drank some of the electrolyte solution on his own.

However, when I put him down he flops around like he's trying to get up and when he can't he goes still and just lays there. If we pick him back up he livens up. He'll be alert and then he'll just kind of nod off and close his eyes.

He does have some blood on his wattles and it looks like his right eye was pecked because when I can get him to open it it looks bloody. When his eyes are open they are bright and alert.

Currently he's sitting in my daughter's lap on the couch alternating between alert and asleep.

Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom