Need info and fast

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by airmechreed, Jun 30, 2011.

1. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Ok a good friend of mine is a vet and someone left two ducklings at his hospital my wife is on the way home with them. I have chickens but know nothing about ducks they are only a day old or so please let me know what they need I don't have time to research need info and fast

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Patience, that's what you need [​IMG] Ducks are....different, messier with their water, which you'll have to change a BILLION times a day! They have to have water to wash down their food or they can/will choke on it. Other than that, they are pretty much like chickens that swim.

3. airmechreed

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Ok what about feed what do they eat do they need a heatlamp?

4. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:Get them unmedicated starter mash, you can also give them chopped up lettuce and once in a while mashed peas as treats. they need a heat lamp until 3 weeks old. give them A LOT of drinking water

5. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Day olds do need a heat lamp, just like chickens. You can feed them chick starter, or you can get duck starter, but what ever you do chose make sure its NOT medicated. Ducks do not react well to all the medication in the feed. I would put some electrolytes in there water if you have it. And if you dont have any chick starter right there, make them some cooked and mashed potatoes, cooled of course. When they are old enough, if you choose to keep them, they get along with chickens just fine. At about a week or so of age I like to start giving my ducklings a daily bath, I find it helps build there leg muscle and teaches them how to groom at an early age.
    Good luck!

6. airmechreed

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Thank you all for the info they arrived well two of the four died in the window well where they were found the other two are in the brooder and doing great so far. Both drank water with electrolytes I took chick starter and ground it a little more fine and stuck it I'n with them. Heat lamp is at 98 degrees. I am so excited can't wait til they are running around the yard

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    airmechreed, they will be bigger tomorrow!

Ducklings grow so quickly!

When feeding them regular food (potatoes, peas, lettuce), they will need to have had some chick grit so they can "chew."

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Got any pics?

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Exactly....You cant brag that you have ducklings and not show us the proof. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by