Need Info On Breeding Pigs??

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I Have A Pair Of Domenstic Pigs That Are Around 4 Months Old And I Want To Breed Them. This Is My First Time And Not Really Sure How To Tell When The Female Is In Heat So I Can Put Them Together. Can Anyone Tell Me What To Look For Or Know Of A Website Where I Can Find Info On Breeding Pigs?

I think they need to be older than four months. It is not hard to tell when a pig is in heat. The vulva swells, may turn pinkish and there is often a clear discharge. Also, press down on her back with your hand on her loin. When she is ready to breed she will stand still.

I've Also Heard That You Should Wait Until Their Second Time They Go In Heat And Not To Let Them Mate On Her First Time. Is This True? And If So What Is The Reason?

We just kept them together most of the time. They won't hurt each other. Gilts breed around 5 mo or so. Of course we had more than one sow/gilt so you may be in a different situation. We kept ten females to one boar. They always bred first heat.

Thanks For All Of The Good Info. I Certainly Will Put It To Use In The Near Future. Have A Great Evening And God Bless!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom