Need info on the ramp design

Sometimes you just need to provide a step for them if the door is low enough. I give my chickens a cider block to jump up on and then they jump up to the pop door (opens out and down).
x2. Ramps don't appeal to me, so I do steps:
coopc.jpg

I now understand the difference. Thanks for info. My stain is water based so it dries in 4-6 hours. There were only warnings not to be exposed to lower temp (think below 50 deg) for extended time within 3 days. Hopefully it will be about two weeks before our chicks move to the coop and, hopefully learn to use the ramp.

I now understand the difference. Thanks for info. My stain is water based so it dries in 4-6 hours. There were only warnings not to be exposed to lower temp (think below 50 deg) for extended time within 3 days. Hopefully it will be about two weeks before our chicks move to the coop and, hopefully learn to use the ramp.
They usually get it figured out, it's the getting them to go back to the coop for bed that can be challenging.

I have two pieces of decking (5/4" x 6" nominal) total width about 11". Cleats are 1x2s (nominal, 3/4" x 1.5" actual) spaced about 8" apart. It ascends 36" in a length of about 50". Apart from my CornishX, and some of my very littlest birds, none of my chickens need it, and most don't bother to use it.

As low as your pop up door is, I don't believe you need a ramp, unless you plan on ducks, or very fat, very lazy CornishX (but I repeat myself!!)

My coop is finished except for the ramp. I read in one of the threads that a good rule of thumb is to make it twice long as it is the hight of the chicken entry from the ground.
Hiwever, need info on the width as well on the rungs (size and spacing). Here are few pictures of my small coop (8x5 ft).View attachment 2616723
View attachment 2616727View attachment 2616730
I just put my 7 & 8 week old chicks into their coop and run for the first time today. All went well! Their door is 3' high. I have a 6' long x 6" wide ramp and I experimented by covering it with 1/4 inch rubber stall mat from Coastal Farm & Ranch. It works great. It's firm enough that it won't come apart on the edges and gives them enough traction to go up and down easily without the need for cleats.

Thanks. This design sounds really good And it is simple to make.

I already made a ramp and i used traditional slats. Noticed the chicks quite often poop on it. So far, at the end of day, when I go to lock the coop I scrape the poops with a steel spatula!

Back
Top Bottom