1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need info on using egg cartons as turners

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Apr 24, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I just got a Sportsman hatcher ([​IMG]). The only problem is, I want to use it as a incubator instead of a hatcher.
    My options are:
    Completely re-do the workings of it to get the built-in turners (expensive!)
    Put in egg turners from styrofoam incubators (I am not even sure if they would fit...)
    Hand turn the eggs (all 150 of them [​IMG])
    Or just use the egg cartons they come in [​IMG]

The last option really seams to be the best, I just need a little more information of how exactly you use the cartons. How often do you turn? How high do you prop them? What do you prop them with? Paper or plastic cartons? And things like that.

Thanks so much!
    Grace

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Sorry no help here, but I'll give you a bump !

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I've used cartons successfully twice so far. I poke holes in the bottom as others have reccomended. I turn 4-5 times per day.:<)

And I also have used them after the 18th day only....and they hatch so nicely in the cartons.

good luck no matter what you choose!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by