Need Information Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    i am about to hatch chicks and i have 8 chickens already i am wondering if all 11 survive which will give me 19 chickens is it enough room in an 8 x 4 coop????? they are outside most of the time and all they do is sleep in the coop

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I don't think so. Thats an awful small roosting place. Its good that they are free range, but I think it would be quie crammed at night.

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    That is tight for 19 chickens. You need about 3-4 sq.ft. per bird. That comes to 57 to 76 sq. ft. and you only have 32 sq. ft. to work with.

Hope this helps.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to figure at least 2sq feet per bird. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You're in Maine?

Most climates, 4 sq. feet per chicken in a coop is recommended. In Maine, where they may not want to spend as much time outside in winter, I would double that just for the 8 you have. I certainly wouldn't recommed 19 in there! Feather picking and cannabilism come to mind, as well as a big need for super ventilation.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I believe that birds to sf ratio is not directly linear. If there is only one bird, the coop should not be 2 sf but rather 9 sf (3x3). For the second bird, adding 3 sf. After that, 2 sf then 1 sf until 2 sf is reached. I have never seen this approach, just my own experience.

But if possible, more space is always better.

For your situation, it is not ideal but not impossible if there are enough roosting space. I am running low ratio at barely 2 sf due to chicken math. But with roosting space of 1.3 ft per bird and access to run year round, they are doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by