Need Medical Advice!! My Duckling lost the ability to balance and can no longer stand.

sgolem

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
I have a three and a half week white crested pekin duck named Peppie. About five days ago he started stumbling when he walked. Three days ago he could hardly keep his balance at all and would tumble over onto his back and he could not get up. He was still eating and drinking.

In the past 24 hours he has gotten worse. Now he just lays on his side. Sometimes it seems he is too weak to get up on his legs. He is still drinking and we now mix his food with the water so that he eats as well. He also still uses the bathroom and it looks normal. He still seems very alert. He cries and tries to follow me when I leave the room and he stops when I come back. When I pick him up he kicks his right leg more then his left and he keeps his leg close to his body (favoring the right side).

His feet were very cold this morning but they are getting some heat back. Someone suggested he may have had a heat stroke (we have had temperatures as high as 105 F). Does anyone know what it might be or what we can do for him?

I can't afford a vet, but I want to do everything I can to help him.

Here is a picture of him laying down.

I have a three and a half week white crested pekin duck named Peppie. About five days ago he started stumbling when he walked. Three days ago he could hardly keep his balance at all and would tumble over onto his back and he could not get up. He was still eating and drinking.

In the past 24 hours he has gotten worse. Now he just lays on his side. Sometimes it seems he is too weak to get up on his legs. He is still drinking and we now mix his food with the water so that he eats as well. He also still uses the bathroom and it looks normal. He still seems very alert. He cries and tries to follow me when I leave the room and he stops when I come back. When I pick him up he kicks his right leg more then his left and he keeps his leg close to his body (favoring the right side).

His feet were very cold this morning but they are getting some heat back. Someone suggested he may have had a heat stroke (we have had temperatures as high as 105 F). Does anyone know what it might be or what we can do for him?

I can't afford a vet, but I want to do everything I can to help him.

Here is a picture of him laying down.

I'm so sorry to hear about your duckling, what are you feeding him? ducklings can get deffecient sp in niacin pretty quick and if you feeding chick starter then that maybe his problem which you can buy niacin and add to his water and will probably notice a difference in about 3-4 days. Brewers yeast can also be added to his feed. He's at about the age when we start to see these kinds of problems if it's niacin defenciency. I'd also give him some kind of poultry vitamins right now to help. it could be heat related but i am leaning more on the niacin. Was he kept outside with out adequate shade or water? when temps get like they have been it's very important that our ducks have plenty of shade plus fresh cool water at all times. also might add some electrolytes during such high temps too. bt get him over this first by adding niacin in the form of capsules opened and added to his drinking water or tablets crushed, or Brewers yeast sprinkled on top of his feed. please let us know how he is doing.

Niacin deficiency usually presents as walking issues associated with bow legs. In this case I would suggest it is much more likely that the is something neurological going on with your little one. The crest on its head is actually formed because there is a hole in the skull and this can cause many problems. Peppie may just be going through a growth spurt where excess pressure is being put on the brain causing a kind of temporary paralysis- but there is also the chance that there will be no recovery from this. Another possibility is that he has ingested something toxic- or rather than heat stroke- just a stroke as you say that one side of his body seems more effected than the other.

It may just be that for now all you can do is help him eat and drink to keep up his strength as while he is growing this is so very important. Rather than just niacin some multivitamins that will give him a boost with a greater range of essential elements especially when he isnt actually eating much. i just keep going back to look at your Photo of Peppie- he really is a beautiful looking baby. I hoe you can nurse him through this and that he will be able to have a pretty normal life.

Peppie is very squirmy, which is good. His balance still isn't very good, but when my girlfriend left (I was in charge of watching him), he was almost walking as he tried to look for her. He's learned to use the side of the cage to help him stand. He looks kinda like a kiwi when he does this because his bottom half is scrunched.

So far he's been fed Lettuce with some niacin added. The multivitamin sounds like a good idea, I'll look into it.

We're starting to suspect he might have gone blind in one eye because it doesn't react when we put our fingers near it, but his other one does.

We laid him on his back and he kicked in protest for awhile until his belly was rubbed. I'm glad he kicked like that, it's reassuring. After that he seemed very comfortable, and was able to hold his head up and look around. He's much more energetic tonight than he was last night. His peeping still sounds a bit wheezy.

Here is a picture of him and his sibling, who's been comforting him a lot. He seems to have cheered him up a little.

Thank you for all your support tonight. You guys have given a lot of great advice and we will use it. I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited:
I have two ducks in our flock, one a month old the other a year old, both with the same balance problem. I know the cause, @#$%! mongooses bit their heads, they were bleeding like crazy.

(Soon after the trapped mongooses met my airplane snips, and the duck flock got a mongoose puzzle of 1" pieces to play with. Well, they wouldn't go anywhere near the reeky pile.)

Here is a link about Niacin from Metzers web site. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html
but i think you may have to look at what duckyfromz has said too, having a crest can cause neurological problems so it will be a time issue to see how he responds to the niacin and also the poultry vitamins, go to TSC and get poultry nutri drench awesome stuff and start right away giving him some, he can even have it straight in the mouth and you can mix it with his water. just remember anytime you give any fowl anything directly into their mouth do it very slowly and only at the opening so they don't get it into their lungs. I can usually just put it on the side of their bill where their mouth opens and they will get some, some is wasted but right now it's just important to get Peppie feeling better. again please keep us updated on how he is doing.And wish this was on a happier note but
welcome-byc.gif
we're glad your here.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of a duck named Lemon? She is also a crested Pekin- She was hatched in a school classroom- and with the kids and all- there was just never the possibility to have her put to sleep- so Laura ( the teacher ) cares for Lemon. She has a walking frame- and is taken out on trips with the family. She has a great life for a handiquacked duck. Your Peppie sounds like a fighter- and making some progress is great. Hopefully it will continue and he will be back to walking around soon. If he doesnt though- Lemon is a great example of how a duck can still have a great life even with disabilities. I have raised ducks with different issues in the past- and the ones that arent quiet right are always the favorites in this house.

http://lemontheduck.com/

Back
Top Bottom