need menu ideas for coming dinner

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
i'm having a group of friends over in 1 week for a outdoor dinner. i was thinking of having sloppy joes and wondered if anyone had ideas for side dishes. so far was thinking corn-on-the-cob, chips, watermelon or fruit salad and pickles. any ideas from your menus?

Fall and especially Halloween are my favorite times of year. you could base your menu on traditional fall/outdoor cooking foods, like rosted hotdogs, baked apples, smores, potatoe salad, chili, etc. My favorite this time of year is Halloweenthemed foods, mummy dogs, witches fingers, potatoe bugs, baby squids, witches teeth, etc. Make a ghoulish punch or witches brew and jack o lanter or graveyard cake. Make it fun and they will always remember it.

i like sweet and sour kielbasa...cooked slow for a few hours in a crock pot before serving...its easy..let me know if you want the recipe..good luck with the dinner!..Wendy

kielbasa sounds yummy! i was kind of hoping to use some of the meat from our freezer, which is lots of hamburger - that's why i was thinking of sloppy joes. don't really want to do burgers. a friend suggested a winter squash side dish. any good recipes?

well..you could boil up some winter squash(skin and seeds removed..and cut into smallish pieces). drain VERY well...mash it like mashed potatos..with butter, brown sugar, maybe a little of maple syrup.....add some walnuts or pecans(if you want)...then..put it in a casserole dish...top with marshmallows...bake till the mellows melt some and brown up a bit...its yummy....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom