need non-legal advice about horse/mule

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
Hi. I have a horse. She had a mule foal in 2005. I didn't know she was pregnant when I bought her. I kept the baby mule, (Buttercup) or (BC). 2 years ago I moved them from my backyard to a barn so BC could be broke to ride and I could have the socialness of a barn. A girl seemed to click with BC, and eventually, I sold BC to her for $1.00, because the situation was good for me as BC would be where I could watch over her.

Now is 8 months after selling BC. The girl does not come out to ride anymore. She has missed paying the board for 3 months now. My mistake, I feel, in this, is that I sold BC to a girl who was not mature enough to be responsible, and her mother really can't afford this.

So the owner of the barn, Mr. G, has a very big reputable name in this area, and is a very generous man. Very nice family. Owned this barn for over 20 years.

He asked me what I want to do. He says he can take BC for the money owed, or I can take her back. I really don't want a 2nd horse, but I feel responsible for BC. Emotionally.

My goal was to sell her to the "right" person.
How do I not feel guilty letting the barn owner have her? How do I feel like I'm not taking advantage of him ? Or am I? He says if he owns her, she will be trained to pull a buggy. He could possibly sell her better than I could.

I just don't know what to do. I think the most important thing to me is the well-being of BC. On the other hand, I don't want 2. I really need some input on this!

Think of the animal first, you second, the barn owner third and the girl last. I'd say BC would live a good life being tained and taken care of by someone who wants her.

Just my thoughts.

Pete

Think of the animal first, you second, the barn owner third and the girl last. I'd say BC would live a good life being tained and taken care of by someone who wants her.

Just my thoughts.

Pete

Okay. The girl is a non-thought, she's just not involving herself anymore. Instead of thinking "my home is the only home", it's really not if she's not being wanted and used. I do think of her welfare first, but does that mean me owning her, or her being worked and eventually sold? I guess there are no guarantees, are there, that she will be taken care of. I see so many bad stories on tv, it's hard to let her go.

If the barn owner is as reputable and knowledgeable as you indicate, it seems that transfering ownership to him would be the right thing on many levls.

Well, since the girl owns the mule, it is really up to her as to whether she (and her family) wish to pay what they owe or not, to include moving or selling BC without your permission. That does not absolve them from paying what is owed for stabling, and it is possible that the contract (is there is one) has provisions for abandonment. I am not sure that you CAN be the legal owner without the girl and her family's permission. Seems like ownership would need to transfer to the stable owner and then to you, and that only if abandonment provisions are present in a contract. Has anyone actually tried to contact the girl? What does she say?

Seems to me that if you take BC, you might have a moral obligation to pay for the stabling.

Well, since the girl owns the mule, it is really up to her as to whether she (and her family) wish to pay what they owe or not, to include moving or selling BC without your permission. That does not absolve them from paying what is owed for stabling, and it is possible that the contract (is there is one) has provisions for abandonment. I am not sure that you CAN be the legal owner without the girl and her family's permission. Seems like ownership would need to transfer to the stable owner and then to you, and that only if abandonment provisions are present in a contract. Has anyone actually tried to contact the girl? What does she say?

Seems to me that if you take BC, you might have a moral obligation to pay for the stabling.

I had to quote this so I can reply to your comment.s.
big_smile.png
because you bring up some good points.. I'm not taking away or doing anything without permission.

The girl was always at the barn, and earned some money helping out. And BC was to be pasture boarded, which is much cheaper. So the girl def. had a way to have her own equine-just like all the other girls at the barn (the clique). And help pay some of the board.

However, my biggest mistake was that she looks like a 16 year old, but is only 12/13. It never dawned on me that she may have not been mature enough , she always seemed responsible. Technically, her mother owns the horse, since the girl is a minor.

Mom is going on 3 months of unpaid board. She is now unemployed. And has other problems. I think she is holding on because of her daughter, but her daughter is not interested anymore. The sale contract states that I have 1st option to buy. But it won't come to that. The mom is very nice. I have a copy of the contract and it does get into abandonment, as well.

Mr. G said he's giving the mom another week or two to pay the 3 months board. If not , he can take possession of the horse or mule because of non payment. But most likely, Mr. G will talk to the girl's mom and help her see what needs to be done. This is not a nasty situation. No one will be angry.

Mr. G has been in contact with the mom several times now . The mom keeps saying she's waiting for her tax return. And you're right, Mr. G would then be owner if she doesn't pay.

Mr. G asked me if I want BC back. Or he'll keep her , and teach her how to pull a buggy.

Moral obligation? Yes, most likely. Couldn't sleep at night if I didn't. I did already tell Mr. G that if he wants to take BC, I will pay her board up to date. I think it would be the right thing for BC not to owe him any money (LOL).

The BO and family had offered last year to train and sell BC and subtract training and expenses from the sale. Maybe we should set it up that way. I'm not looking for any money. Just a solid home for BC. Her mother is a Tennessee walker and BC gaits as well. Maybe I should just ask Mr. G how should I go about this.

I know she is not mine but I do talk like she is mine, and she is----morally.

Whats the difference if the barn owner owns her now or not? Hes already been taking care of her for all these months, hasnt he?? If hes been doing a good job,.. i cant see any difference at all.
Yeah, 12-13 is waaaay to young to be taking responsibility for a horse.. What did her mom say about her daughter "owning" the horse?? Was she okay with it??
I feel bad for the stable owner getting screwed though.. but thats NOT your doing,..its the mothers doing..

A nice tempered gaited mule can bring a good price in the right market. Sounds like the BO is being fair about the situation, but once he gains ownership of the mule, he can do what ever he wants with BC. Don't be surprised, if after training BC, she is sold to someone else. These situations happen all the time, and after a while the BO simply can't afford to keep every horse whose owner skips on the board fee.

Buy the mule, get her trained, and enjoy her! Gaited mules are well sought after, and are exceptional trail mounts. Eventually, you'll find a owner who truly appreciates how special gaited mules are.

Back
Top Bottom