Need Nose/Mouth Protection/Covering for Workers. Any Suggestions

cammartinez

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2015
My worker told me today that he wants to get something to cover his nose. He says that he has started to feel something up in his nose. It is worse when he changes the saw dust. There is also tons of dust kicked up when he catches chickens inside for selling,

I want something nice but we are on a budget. Is there any suggestions for what type of covering we should get?

He absolutely needs a dust mask. There are disposable ones, and there are the kind that are meant to be repeatedly used. They have filters on the side that will need to be changed out. I believe these are better, but each employee should have his own. They are not designed to be shared.

He absolutely needs a dust mask. There are disposable ones, and there are the kind that are meant to be repeatedly used. They have filters on the side that will need to be changed out. I believe these are better, but each employee should have his own. They are not designed to be shared.
..and they fit MUCH better, forming a true seal to the face.

I have asthma, so don't do much of anything in the coop without wearing my mask. If I get out there, and don't have a mask, I just pull my shirt up over my nose. Even that helps if I'm just out there for a moment or two. When I'm cleaning the coop, I look like a space alien!

Actually,thinking about it, there should be regulatory personal protectional equipment guidelines for those working in the poultry industry. I would strongly suggest that you find them and ensure that you follow them for the safety of your staff and for your own legal protection.

Ct

Last edited:
Actually,thinking about it, there should be regulatory personal protectional equipment guidelines for those working in the poultry industry. I would strongly suggest that you find them and ensure that you follow them for the safety of your staff and for your own legal protection.

Ct
True Dat^^
But I believe the OP is in Cameroon Africa...not sure what regs they might have there.

True Dat^^
But I believe the OP is in Cameroon Africa...not sure what regs they might have there.

Yep... DEFINITELY no regs. LOLOL. Welcome to the "wild wild west (or east)" of chicken raising.

I really want to consider their longterm health though so I was wondering if those flimsy dust masks really cut it.

I was thinking of getting this for my workers for them to have their own. (I know it needs cartridges though.)

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Comfort-Fa...&qid=1450712194&sr=8-7&keywords=respirator+3m

I could get them when some people come over from the States next month.

I also saw these. Disposable but they look more substantial. What do y'all think?

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Parti...&qid=1450712194&sr=8-1&keywords=respirator+3m

True Dat^^

Ah there may not be any regs in terms personal protective equipment for poultry workers, but either way it would be good to see what regs exist elsewhere and see what may be available. I am not even too sure basic dust masks will be available outside Yaounde - such are the challenges of being in Africa sometimes.

Ct

Back
Top Bottom