Need opinion on possible used sportsman purchase

The model # would help think maybe 1202, was it build for chickens, Some are make for emu.

the hatcher you will not need, unless you set hundred of eggs each week, it will hold 3 GQF incubator of eggs. hatcher cost about 100 less.

Do they have both thermostats, most used for go for 150.00 to 300.00 each

The incubator and brooder were both used for emu eggs. So obviously they are set up to hold that sized egg. What would I need to get to make it set up for chicken sized eggs? The trays in the incubator look large - I looked on GQFs website and I dont see chicken trays?

I wouldn't suggest messing with the emu setups unless you were going to do exclusively emu. There are several differences. Especially the trays, the turning setup, and the higher capacity fan, etc. Might be better to wait for the regular kind.
db

Yes , I would keep looking, you would need new racks,and relocating them in the incubator. Unless you could get them alot cheaper.
Dont give up, used one come on ebay, should be able to find another at that price or cheaper. Like I posted before you only need the incubator to start, most have a hatching tray in the bottom.

Bummer. I didnt think there was any difference in the incubator itself, other than just the racks are bigger. :-( I've honestly never seen one around me used for chickens and the like - they're always for Emu and Ostritch. Oh well.

I asked the guy who has the sportsmans for sale - apparently he has "a few", they are going out of business. I asked to hold for me and he said no (cant blame him, I guess). Here's his reply to me asking about the turners being too big for chickens:

"You can use the card-board egg cartons to set in the racks. "

Anyone do something like this, or should I just forget this and find something else?

Honestly if it were me I would just keep looking. That is not a bad deal, but if you are just hatching chicken eggs I would hold out and look for a sportsman that is set up for the chicken eggs. The racks on the emu bators are different and you will not be able to get near as many eggs in them. They are also divided and regular chicken egg trays will not fit in them. Also unless you are hatching out many chicks in 2 or 3 incubators you do not really need the hatcher. For the $500. price you can put another $100 with it and order a brand new sportsman. I bought 2 brand new ones last summer and I love them. I ordered them direct from QGF, $603. for each one, shipping included, delivered to my door.

I bought an incubator and hatcher set up for emu eggs. The turner was identical to the other sportsman I have with baskets so to speak sitting in the rack for the emu eggs. I use those for hatching trays and my egg trays fit right in . NOt sure whey the emu thing is a deal breaker. These things are still half price and if interested in staggered hatches an hatcher and incubator are a good idea no matter how many eggs you set.

Quote:
I concur.. it is only a matter of changing racks..

why are you so quick to listen to bad advice and throw the good advice out so easily..

I am planning to use chicken egg cartons in my new sportsman for incubating.. It makes good sense to me and clean up should be easier after hatching is done..

Do not listen to whoever said that the high volume fan was not good.

B>S> I will invite anybody who wants to to come and feel the blast in one of my 3000 egg capacity Jamesway bators..,,I have 3 of them.. 2 sportsmans and 8 styrofoam LG and Hova's and one 126 egg home=made bator that I built.. just in case anybody wants to dispute that I do not know what I am talking about..

Back
Top Bottom