Eggs not hatching?

dannyisforreal

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
LOST
I tried to hatch out about 24 eggs that I bought online. They got here overnight, and I am using a Brisena 24-egg incubator. I candled them throughout and had roughly 14 eggs that I thought should hatch on day 21. It is day 23, and there are no pips, so I opened one up, thinking they might have died late in incubation for some reason. There was a chick there who is probably developed to day 18 from what I see as pics online, and it was ALIVE! I don't understand why they are not as developed as they should be and not hatching. how long should I wait before giving up on them? Is it possible for them to be still alive? Also, do yall have any ideas as to why they are less developed? I would like to understand if I did anything wrong, as this breed is mainly only available through hatching eggs.

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Did you calibrate your incubator? Shipped eggs can be a bit slow
I followed the instructions for the incubator. it was at a 99.5 degrees and 45 rh up till day 18 and then moved it up to a 65 rh. I may need to look into calibrating it for next time and putting another temperature and humidity gage in there to double check :(

I followed the instructions for the incubator. it was at a 99.5 degrees and 45 rh up till day 18 and then moved it up to a 65 rh. I may need to look into calibrating it for next time and putting another temperature and humidity gage in there to double check :(
I have a couple of Brinseas, and while they're solid as far as maintaining temperature, the displays should definitely be checked against an independent thermometer and hygrometer because I've found them to be inaccurate to varying degrees.

How did the air cells look when you received the eggs? Shipping can cause serious damage to the eggs, internally, even if there aren't any obvious external signs (like cracks).

Back
Top Bottom