Need opinions on selling

Quote:
I totally get your point, Steve--and it's kind of my point, too, by which I mean that right now, I do NOT have anything really invested in a line of birds, outside of the initial investment in the stock. I'm really just benefiting from someone else's hard work.

(I'm loving the Orps I hatched from you, BTW--they are tough little buggers!)

WOW ninjapoodles your eggs are dark . I hope i can get some chicks to hatch from your eggs
fl.gif

Quote:
Did you get yours from the swap yet? Oh, wait--they just went out yesterday, didn't they? Heh, I'll wait 'til tomorrow to ask again.
tongue.png

Take accurate pictures, post accurate information, then charge whatevertheheck you feel like charging. Let other people watch out for their own hurt feelings, if there are any. It isn't your problem.

Well, I for one just think you culls are gorgeous, but you already know that
wink.png

And bravo to you for being so honest about selling with all the get rich quick Marans sellers popping up all over, you could easily list on eBay like so many others. I think you have some good egg karma coming

clap.gif

The only downfall to starting out low is that it is difficult to raise your price, this is true for any "business".

Your time is worth something too, I can't imagine it's quick to wrap and pack eggs for them to safely arrive plus the cost of packaging unless it just makes you feel good to do it and I haven't found the free feed store.

On the other hand, as a consumer, I love a good buy and can't get enough of those dark eggs!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you get yours from the swap yet? Oh, wait--they just went out yesterday, didn't they? Heh, I'll wait 'til tomorrow to ask again.
tongue.png

Didnt get em today Hopefully tomarow

I think most people charge what they are worth to them. We charge $60 a dozen for BLRW and $70 for SLW eggs and $8 a chick. We raise hundreds of birds a year and cull down to the best ones. We also work with other breeder and continue to improve our stock and breed toward the show standards. Our young BLRW look 100 times better than last years birds. We do give the best feed and build adequate housing and runs for everyone, and we let one pen out a day to free range in our fenced in pasture. We put in 4 hours of hard work a day during the week and entire weekends just to keep everything fed, watered and clean. We have invested a lot of money into our chickens and call ducks and we have yet to make any money selling eggs or birds. It all goes to feed, wire, wood and pays for us to attend shows. Why do we do all this crazy work??? Because we love raising them and the kids really enjoy going to the shows.

Back
Top Bottom