Need opinions on selling

Quote:
I guess it comes from breeding other animals, just a mindset. With my dogs, for instance, I am very knowledgeable about the family of dogs, way back for generations before mine were born. I know what they are likely to throw as far as phenotype and genotype. I know what to expect as far as temperament, personality, size, color, movement, health, etc. I can make pretty good predictions as to show quality and suitability for training. So yeah, the puppies are expensive (and rare), to some people. But I feel like I've removed a lot of the guesswork for a puppy buyer, and that's worth something.

With these birds, I haven't done any work--I'm just starting to do that, with my culling and selection process, but I have no idea, yet, whether I'm making the RIGHT culls and selections! So I guess I feel like charging what people who have created and KNOW their own lines do is...eh, just not a good fit, for me.

That said, I absolutely don't have anything against anyone selling eggs for every penny they can get for them, as long as they're totally up front about what they're selling. That's just fair trade.

If you have top quality birds, you probably paid high for the eggs. If you got a "deal" and have top quality birds, work it baby. Times are hard and going to get a lot harder from the looks of it. No time for manufactured guilt. The "hard work" you did was to go earn the $ and buy the eggs, raise the chicks, cull your flock, clean the pens, haul the water, etc... now turn to and go get your rightful money and just be glad you didn't do all that work for some hatchery buff orps instead.

Quote:
I think I just heard my hatchery Buff Orps sniffing indignantly.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom