Need opinions on sour crop treatment please

bevis

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have a speckled Sussex and a lavender orpington that have sour crop. I have no idea what brought it on or if there is an underlying condition causing it. I have dealt with crop problems many times and they always seem to elude me as far as the correct treatment. I had an older Sussex that I worked with for 2 months until I finally got it cleared with colloidal silver at a rate of dosing her 20 mils 2x a day. that was after trying just about any sour crop treatment that is available on the web.
I have tried

the secret spice mix - no go
vage cream ( both monostat 2% and clotrimazole 2% ) 1ml 3x a day - no go
stool softeners (Dulcolax) to get things moving - no go
organic coconut oil - no go
mineral oil to get things moving - no go
krill oil to get things moving - no go
epsom salts water dosing - no go
colloidal silver - I'm not positive this stuff works - I think it does but not for certain
Acidified copper sulphate - sometimes it works and sometimes it does not

There is also a hard molt that's been going on for the last 3 weeks in almost the entire flock.

these 2 birds are 5 years and 3 years old respectively .
I am currently dosing them with acidified copper sulphate mixed 1/4 tsp to 1 gallon of water and syringing it down their gullet 20mls at a time 2x a day.
this is day 3 and I don't see much improvement .

I have vomited the big buff 3 or 4 times and it seems to have helped reduce the amount of liquid that's building in her crop daily.

Is there opinions about the so called garlic water cure and how its made ?

is there any opinions about switching from ACS to colloidal silver to attack the problem ? .

The last time I dosed colloidal silver I did so 20-25mls 2x a day down the girls gullet via 1ml syringe.

Any help would be appreciated.

for reference, this is the silver im talking about
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZ5UOCQ/?tag=backy-20

Last edited:
I'm sorry that this is affecting your girls :( Usually, when I have any sour crop issues, I remove the affected hen and keep her separate with no food, only water. I will vomit her several times a day. Usually, the water helps loosen things up and more often ran not, the culprit is a wad of grass causing a blockage. Depending on how the crop looks the next morning, I usually will allow the hen to eat a little bit then take the food away. I'll wait a couple hours and try to vomit her again. Often, it takes several days of constant care to clear everything up. Remember, it's very dangerous for the hen to force her to vomit as she can aspirate it back in to her lungs but I've also found it to be the most effective way to get through it. Good luck and please keep us posted!

I started them both on colloidal silver this morning. they are getting at least 20mls 2x a day and see we'll see if i get any improvement in a few days.

I have not seen crop problems except in older hens who have been suffering from reproductive disorders. The repro disorders seem to cause the crop to not function properly, and no matter what I have done, the ones who have had impacted or sour crop, have not lived. You may have already read this two articles, but these are some good ones to follow:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

I have saved more than one girl in the past 5 years from impacted / doughy / sour crop.
The issue is figuring out which method of treatment to use every single time.
Thanks for the links.

Acidified copper sometimes works for you, sometimes doesn't. Are you seeing anything in the throat or inside the beak? Yellow/patchy places or canker?

no they both look normal. im wondering if a dirty coop or the hard molt helped bring this on. I cleaned the coop and put down a new 6" layer of pine shavings. it wasn't excessively dirty but I cleaned it and changed the shavings anyway .

that's very interesting and I confirmed you are correct.
If theres a moderator here, please delete this thread.
I no longer require assistance .
Thanks to everyone on BYC for the help over the last 6 years.
Not sure why you want the thread deleted, but if that's something you wish, then hit the "report" button and request it.

Back
Top Bottom