Need photos of newly hatched frizzle Cochins, anyone have em?

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
I ask this because, I ordered eggs off Ebay and what I purchased was frizzle Cochin...my eggs hatched and are two days old, I have this sinking suspicion they aren't frizzle, love em anyways. Do they look different then non frizzle Cochins, when they hatch and fluff up?

Last edited:
Don't worry yet. The frizzle will take about two weeks to show up in your chicks, if they have the gene. The very ends of their wings will start to turn out. Be prepared if they are frizzles, as they will look very ugly for a loooooong time! They will also have what looks like bald patches because their feathers turn out and don't lay flat. They are ohh so cute when they get all their feathers though!

This is my frizzle Cochin mix "BJ" when she hatched...
P1090229.jpg

This is the same chick at 11 days old ~ you can see the wing feathers starting to frizzle...
blackjack.jpg

And a couple of weeks later at the "ugly" stage mentioned by another poster...
P1090945cropped.jpg

And at at about 5 months old...
P1110463-BJ.jpg

Hi WannaBChick,

I also ordered some eggs from another BYCer, and it is a batch of Frizzle Cochin LF. Of the few that hatched, only 1 turn out frizzled, but that's alright, because when you buy frizzle Cochins, some of them will not be frizzle, although they may have the gene. Only half the batch will hatch frizzled.

Here is Neo, a day old.
5273425604_9cc80a08db_o.jpg

No feathers curling yet.

And here he is, 1 week old today.
5288737241_e51e708da3_o.jpg

As you can see, the feathers on the wings start showing first. The curling is very clear. The ones which are not frizzled, have flat regular feathers.

5288737179_252b55f605_o.jpg

5289339404_f132b848d7_o.jpg

I have to admit, Neo is really growing on me, he is feisty, bold, and beautiful. He was named by another BYCer, after his coloring, Neopolitan.

5288737301_cf0392568e_o.jpg

Thank u all so much, that really helped with the photos and all the explanations.... Thank u each for sharing your photos and helping me learn and understand how frizzle can or can't happen

Thank u so much, and a very Merry Christmas to all of u
Xoxox

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom