I don't think my frizzled cochin is frizzling :(

Maybe - like some people get there curly hair later on in life - maybe just maybe she will get her curls later on too. I know I was like that! lol šŸ˜…ā¤
No. You can tell almost immediately who is frizzled and who isn't.
20210313_193129.jpg
20210319_161422.jpg
20210330_204141.jpg
20210425_203925.jpg
20210508_164629.jpg

You cannot ethically breed birds that guarantee 100% frizzled offspring. Nor can you tell at less than 24 hours old which chicks will be frizzled and which will be not. That is the risk with buying frizzle bred chicks, and nearly every hatchery will explain that a portion of chicks hatched in that pen will not be frizzled
Agree. When silkies hatch, they all look like frizzles to a certain extent. ā˜ŗļø

I have two frizzle hens out of six and when I was hatching their eggs (Tribe 1 v. now Tribe 2), only about 1/3 would be frizzled and I couldn't tell which ones for sure for a couple days to a week. They need to start growing feathers that point straight out. By a week though it's very apparent.

Soo cute! Okay good to know! Now I want frizzles! ā¤šŸ’—
Make sure you have somewhere warm they can stay in winter. They can't make air pockets when cold like normal birds can, and especially if you end up with a frazzle since they have metabolism issues and bald spots. The cold is what did my pullet frazzle in.

Only 25-50% of offspring between a frizzle and non frizzle parent will carry the frizzle gene. It is incredibly difficult to impossible to determine whether a chick is frizzle or not at hatch day when they ship. If you look at the listing on Meyer for frizzles it specifies this and advises you to order 2-3 in order to ensure your odds of receiving a frizzle are high. I have a local feed store that deals with Meyer and imports straight run frizzles. I only paid $5.15 for my frizzle. The extra price you pay is for the sexing

Back
Top Bottom