I don't think my frizzled cochin is frizzling :(

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Hey all! So I ordered a black bantam frizzled Cochin from Meyer. She hatched 8/28, so *almost* 2 weeks old. I don't think she's actually a frizzle 😭 literally the ONLY reason I placed an order was to get the frizzle. I ordered a couple other fun breeds just to get the minimum order, but I really wanted the frizzle. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? I feel like she should look much more curly by this age. I've seen normal non-frizzled birds with curlier feathers when first coming in. 🤔

those little tufts on the lower right side are her feet feathers sticking out, which aren't any different in texture than my sultan's who is the same age and not frizzled. (Or at least, not supposed to be lol)
BBE43EB6-5B98-497D-BFF3-ED8AFCDB66D3.jpeg
424AE660-4475-4965-BCCE-D60A71ABAF97.jpeg

Unfortunately not all frizzle are actually frizzle. I think about 25% are smooth feathered when producing frizzle. Some hatchery sell them as frizzle because they are from the ame breeding.

Unfortunately not all frizzle are actually frizzle. I think about 25% are smooth feathered when producing frizzle. Some hatchery sell them as frizzle because they are from the ame breeding.
Frizzles will always be frizzled. It's a dominant gene, so if they have it, they are frizzled. Now it is true that they don't produce all frizzled offspring. But it shouldn't be sold as a frizzle (and come with the higher price tag) if it's not a frizzle. 😭

Frizzles will always be frizzled. It's a dominant gene, so if they have it, they are frizzled. Now it is true that they don't produce all frizzled offspring. But it shouldn't be sold as a frizzle (and come with the higher price tag) if it's not a frizzle. 😭
Sorry, but that's just how some hatcheries sell them. Labeled as frizzle when they are actually frizzled.

Sorry, but that's just how some hatcheries sell them. Labeled as frizzle when they are actually frizzled.
Yeah. Just sucks. I could have gotten a regular ol' bantam Cochin for $4 at TSC 🤣😭 I'd be more understanding if I'd gotten hatching eggs, no one can control what comes out. But knowing someone picked this one out and sold it as a frizzle, at a premium price for a hatchery bird, just kinda feels like I was taken advantage of I guess. Oh well. I'll still love her of course, but not gonna lie I'm pretty disappointed. I wanted to add the frizzle gene to my silkie flock.

I got my frizzle black cochin bantam from meyer and she hatched August 25th. She didn’t frizzle either. I know they have many eggs but maybe they are siblings. :) Would love to see a picture of yours.

You cannot ethically breed birds that guarantee 100% frizzled offspring. Nor can you tell at less than 24 hours old which chicks will be frizzled and which will be not. That is the risk with buying frizzle bred chicks, and nearly every hatchery will explain that a portion of chicks hatched in that pen will not be frizzled

Back
Top Bottom