Normal or frizzle?

SuperC

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
So I have a collection of Orpington chicks in the “2 week to a smidge younger” age range, (2 lavenders, 3 Mauves and a blue) and I’ve noticed on some of them the wing weathers seem to… lift/fluff in a non smooth way. This is my first ever flock and while I’m familiar with chickens in general, I’ve never witnessed a day by day grow out. I’m wondering if this feather look is normal, or maybe some “sassy/jazzy” DNA showing up.

My little blue, Cordelia, who is the youngest, has the top layer of her wings sort of lift along the entire ridge. She doesn’t have a second row of wing feathers that are showing much yet. Then my biggest/oldest lavender (2.5 weeks) has some epic feathers than can only be described as “morning hair meets needing a good shake/fluff to smooth them down”. They always sort of look like they are sticking out like she’s trying to puff up, but she ISNT puffed up.

I asked my breeder friend where I got them about maybe some drizzle in the DNA, a d she says she doesn’t have any frizzle of any kind in her flocks anywhere, but she can’t say for sure in past genetics in her layers- but the ones she’s does have are “normal” looking Orpingtons.

Now, these are all little sweetheart and handraised chicks, so looks don’t matter to me at all, but I am curious. Is this normal looking grow out (pre dinosaur stage) or maybe some sassy frizzle showing up? I have a mauve as well that has some “lift” to the upper feathers, but she’s dark brown right now so doesn’t photograph as easily. Thoughts?
The little dark one is my blue (Cordelia), and the larger more silver one is the Lavender (Mrs Lynde). She’s not “fluffed up”, that’s how she looks all the time (& when she IS fluffed up, she is big! Full on Dolly Parton feathers!)

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7504.jpeg
    IMG_7504.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    608.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg