Need pics of Red Pyle chicks. Working on Red Pyle Ameraucana project.

My Ameraucana are VERY large, not small like the hatchery EE.

Mine are standard, and pretty good size birds too. I had someone comment on them not long ago. They loved my hens because they were so big and meaty. A lot of pure Ameraucana are a little under the standard weight actually, at least this is what I've read. I did have one male that was a little smaller, but I sold him to a friend of mine.​

sorry internet playing up.
roll.png

Last edited:
Got pics?

I made the birds some years ago back in UK. I have not had the birds for some years.
I have no photos of them to hand.
They looked like any other pyle araucanas (UK type) after a few years. The pyle leghorns, were, understandably, faster to make.​

Hi There! I came across this thread while I was doing some research trying to find out more about one of my new little birds I just added to my flock. When I got her I was told she was a "Red Pyle". I dont normally buy anything from anyone I dont know, I was selling some roosters at the local farmers market and I've talked to the gentleman selling his birds there several times and he seemed knowledgeable about his other birds, they were all VERY healthy, and these little birds were something I've not seen and they were so sweet I wanted to add at least one to my flock. (now I want more knowing how sweet they are) She has a song like "cluck" not chicken like at all even though she is. However my question - after reading your thread...it appears Red Pyle is the feather Coloring NOT a breed!! So my farmer market friend isnt very knowledgeable huh? Or at least short with his information! He told me he was picking out the prettiest one for me...and handed me an all white bird....I wasnt so happy....the others had more "red" and he assured me she would be prettier, I took his word and he said if I didnt like her he would give me my money back. She is getting more color in slowly...so I'm reading that (and experience with my own birds) their color will show later, and you want with a red pile to start with an all white bird.....I'm now more clueless than I started out with my little bird as to what breed she is!!! She has blue legs! LOL I know she is a bantam, wont get much bigger than what she is now he told me. Any clue on the breed if you know, and can you explain the red pyle to me, am I correct in what I'm reading on your thread? Thanks so much here is her picture.
56270_dsc09816.jpg

56270_dsc09815.jpg

56270_newbirds.jpg

BTW this is her next to a bantam cochin, and a seabright, of their ages, I'm clueless...I was told the cochin was as old as my birds about 20 weeks, but I think there is NO WAY she is that old, she is just too small!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The seabright....again have no clue...and I dont remember what the gentleman told me about the "red pyle" I'm sure they are all younger than 15 weeks old
Thanks for your help!
Rachel

You do want a bird with a clean white body. I have an Old English Game bantam pullet too (as well as a rooster), but she does some color in her body that she shouldn't have. I don't really know a lot about OEG bantam's. Mine as just pets. They seem to be good natured birds, but the standard size can be more aggressive...not all are though.

So you think she is an OEG hen? what I was reading last night I was leaning more towards a Modern Game Hen???? I'm so confused.... LOL I read a Red Pyle should start off white and get some color as they get older is that true? Red Pyle is just the coloring?

Maybe she is. She does have long legs now that I look at her again, but it would be easiler to tell if she were standing and it was a good profile shot. I'm sure those more familier with both breeds will chime in and let you know. Like I said, mine are just pets and I don't breed or show them. Maybe one day though, I really like them....both the OEG and the Modern.

The red coloring will come in more as they mature, that's correct, and you'd definately want to select a young male with as little coloring as possible. As he matures the red will develop on the pyle areas.

Last edited:
I see the gentleman I got her from all the time at the farmers market I go too so I'll have to ask him what she is OEG or MG...She has very long legs for her size I think, I'll try to get a pic. I loved her right away she is one of my favorites! Doesnt look at all like a chicken! Like a little dove and sounds like a song bird, so gentle and sweet! tough little gal as well, no fear of the big gals thats for sure! Very smart I've noticed. I dont breed at this point and have NO plans for show they are all just pets. I do have some birds I'm selling because they arent what they said they were when I bought them (thought I was getting colored egg layers and they ended up being light brown leghorns, I've got 4 or 5 I'm selling) and I had to buy 6 ducks in order to get 2 LOL so I've got a drake Pekin and 3 mallards I'm selling, but I'd planned on that from the start. Mine are all pets too. but I love this little bird, I may have to get another from him!!!! I'm curious to see what she will look like when she is grown! I bet she will be pretty after looking at pictures on here of the Red Pyle adult feather patterns! I'm pleased! Thanks for the info!

Can someone explain red pyle? I have an Araucana chick that I thought was a dominant white with red leakage.....is that what red pyle is? This chick had golden yellow down. I also have hatched out recessive white Araucana's and they are sparkling white with no leakage and the chick down on these varied but mostly chipmunk so I know they have duckwing or BBR genes along with the recessive white gene.
So, I hatched out this yellow chick and it began to feather out white, and later on it looked sort of dirty on the head and neck and that turned into what she is now.....I'm assuming a pullet? (hoping)

Here is the youngster in question
8809_araucanahd4mar2011taken28april2011_01.jpg

8809_araucanahd4mar2011taken28april2011_03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom