need pics of your hog pen

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
I need pics of your pig houses so I can start mine. Also if you don't mind telling my the cost and what you used to make it.

Last edited:
Quote:
We're still building ours, I'll take some pics later of it. We are doing ours in wood, spacing is close between horizontal boards - like maybe 5 inches at the widest ones. (most average about 3 1/2 inches). We have it coming off the back of our barn, so we just put a roof up behind the barn for a lean-to. The way it's positioned, they'll have more shade and protection from wind there (in winter we get horizontal rain).

We have another pen coming off this one we used for cows, and it has a three sided lean-to, but it is a lot hotter there in the summer.

The place we chose was on a hill (what isn't on a hill here?
lau.gif
) so we are backfilling the bank to make it more even ground. We put down rocks (got lots of those for free) and then covering with dirt we moved off the higher areas.

My dad had pigs when I was a kid - he thought he could keep them in with a single strand of electric wire - trust me, it didn't work. I am making this one safe for just about any animal to be in.

We're almost done with it, and I simply cannot wait to get a couple of pigs.

I'll save this post and get those pics today for ya.

Peace -
Meri

Last edited by a moderator:
My current pigs are in the barn in a pen. For the next group I plan to build something outside. They are very destructive. Whatever you do, check it to make sure it is escape proof, then check it a couple more time. Then after they get out, modify it so they can't do it again. They are escape artists, and can get over fairly high walls.
gig.gif

Just know hogs can and will destroy anything. EXtremely smart animals w/snout made of steel. In midwest, old timers had 3 sided buildings with open side to south. Most were 20' wide, 10' deep and about 4' tall.

can google for pictures. it will give you some ideas.

Ok, there are some gaps in the walls that will be filled - had to go get more wood yesterday. Also, the pic of the gate - it will be more filled in, too - the bottom is going to get another row of boards.... Like I said - we're not done yet.

P0003243.jpg

P0003247.jpg

P0003246.jpg

P0003245.jpg

P0003244.jpg

eta - the top rail is at least 50 inches up and higher in most places.

meri

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, btw - cost - Well, this isn't a cheap pig pen
wink.png
we've probably spent a good 600+ bucks on materials, doing all the work ourselves, so labor is free.

I am hoping the wood will be an ok material for this. It certainly looks nicer than metal panels, plus I can adjust the spaces for what I want - where if I used metal panels, I couldn't. The bottom two foot (at least) of the pen is backfilled with huge rocks and dirt - harder to dig out that way.

The only way I can think of that they could get out is to either break through the wood (there is a lot of wood there, they'd have to work at it awhile) or chew through it - either way I would probably see a problem before it got to be a BIG problem and I could fix it.

This pen is inside the pasture, also, so if they did get out, they'd also have the horse fence to get past - which isn't much to keep a pig in, three strand electric wire, but it might make them think twice about it.

meri

Thanks. My pen will be made out of hog t-posts put a foot in the ground hog panels burierd 6" in the ground with a srtand of barbed wire around the bottom of the fence I am still tryin to figare out the gate so the pig won't be able to root under it.

I have some pictures of my pig house on my BYC page. The building was just about right for the 6 pigs we raised in it. It was built on skids to make it easier to move (but it is super heavy and is difficult to move). The fence was just the cheap fence we put up around the garden... I left it there mostly because it gave the appearance of a barrier. I then put two strands of electric wire inside the garden fence. The pigs stayed in with no problem whatsoever.

The building only cost us $150-200 to build because the lumber we used for siding was free, and so was the tin for the roof (DH's family used to have a sawmill so they had a bunch of old rough cut lumber available, my dad had the tin laying around, and my parents had a small piece of plexiglass at home that they didn't need so we used it to make the windows.). We did buy treated 4x4s for the skids and all the hardware, as well as some heavy duty electric wire to run temporary power out to the building for the fencer.

As for the fencing, I'm not sure what it would cost - it was all materials that I already had laying around.

Back
Top Bottom