Need Pictures of Coop with Roof Overhang

SandyK

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Eldersburg, Maryland
I probably didn't phrase it right. But I'm wondering why no one, at least that I've seen so far, is building a coop with a good 6-8 ft overhang on it to allow a dry place for their chickens when it rains or snows. So in other words, a coop building, and a roofed overhang attached to the coop. This is what I would like to have on my next and final coop. Anyone out there with pictures?? Or maybe a good reason why I wouldn't want that.
Thanks

I made mine 18" off the ground so that they can go under it to get out of the rain, snow, or sun on those hot days!

My husband built one with an overhang (complete with hurricane clips!) check out my page for a pic. It is also built off the ground so they can go under. So, half of the "run" is covered by coop and roof, and the other half is open for sun - IF it ever shows up here!! So much rain this year!

Last edited:
Mine is somewhat like what you mention, it keeps the feed dry and gives a large dry space for my few hens, but unless it is really nasty out my hens go out in the yard anyway, rain and all (we don't get much snow). See my page.

There are coops will covered runs on the coop page. Mine has one but isn't completely finished yet:

We have only 5 chicks though so its plenty of room for them. We are also adding a non covered run off this coop so they can go in and out as they please when we are home. This coop will be a true Fort Knox so we can leave the pop door open and we can go on vacation so our house sitter (she lives at our house when we leave as we have dogs too) only has to feed and water every couple of days.
big_smile.png

39619_coop_in_progress_side.jpg

Quote:
Thanks! coop is 4x8, the overhang is also 4x8 and the run is 16x8 (that includes the area under the coop). The coop part has posts on post-holders sunk in concrete - we could expand the coop if needed that way. Or, just turn it into a shed later.

Quote:
My runs are all roofed, is that what you're talking about?

I think one limiting factor for a lot of people, in terms of merely extending the *coop* roof, is municipal bylaws that require a permit for structures over a certain size. Whereas if you roof the run separately you can kind of get around that to a significant extent
wink.png

But a roofed run area is definitely good
smile.png

Pat

Thanks so much for the pictures. I missed a couple of these pictures, they are great. What I have in mind, is a large coop 10 or 12' x 16' and an overhang on the front like my shed picture has on it only on the front of it, not the side. That way, the double doors and windows will be covered. That is the first place the girls go if they get let out to free range. They love the very dry mulch under it. the coop and run will be in a protected fenced in area. Just wanted to make sure there were no good reasons not to build it this way.

36329_img_9256.jpg

I don't think a floored porch would be a good idea because of the clean up involved. Mulch underneath is what I would like.

Another thing, for those that let their chickens under the coop, what are you going to do when they hide their eggs under there and then sit on them. I guess if you don't mind this won't be a problem. I have three Cochins and three Orphingtons who will probably always try and find a way to sit on some eggs, that's why that option was out for me.

DH does not want the a frame roof on this one because of wasted space, so we are still up in the air on that. Planning, planning, I want to get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom