1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need quick answer - "bedding" for mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What can I use in my mealworm container?

Does it have to be wheat germ or can I use corn meal?

TIA [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think the most popular choice is wheat bran, not wheat germ. Some people also use rolled oats, cornmeal, unmedicated chick starter or a combination of some of those.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

We always just used oats.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry I meant wheat bran. I just have wheat germ on the brain cuz I had some this morning.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like toasted wheat germ. It tastes nutty to me. I like to stir it into my yogurt, with a few sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pecans and a little fruit. [​IMG]

I read there's a zoo that feeds their darkling beetles monkey chow, in addition to carrots, apples and romaine lettuce.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OT- My kids were school age before they learned that peanut butter sandwiches are usually made with peanut butter and jelly. At home all they'd ever had was pb and wheat germ or pb and honey sandwiches.

7. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I use wheat bran, but I've read that you can use chick mash, rolled oats... they eat grain so any type seems to be fine. Mine are doing great with the bran and it's so cheap to buy in bulk. Good luck!

ETA: If you are going to be sifting the larvae from the pupae and eggs, you might want to consider that when you're thinking about the bedding. The bigger the flakes of bedding, the more difficult the sifting will be.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:OT- My kids were school age before they learned that peanut butter sandwiches are usually made with peanut butter and jelly. At home all they'd ever had was pb and wheat germ or pb and honey sandwiches.

Mmmmm... pb & honey! [​IMG] Love that combo!

9. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    mealworm are insects so I'm sure you could use cornmeal but yes wheatbran is the most popular choice but people on the mealworm forum have successfully used a variety of bedding including

crushed catfood
    chick starter
    any chicken food crush is pelleted
    rolled oats
    cereal

10. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I use rolled oats and my worm farm is booming with beetles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by