Need Quick Answers!

Little giant styrofoam incubator. Hold 42 eggs. Temps have been right at 99.6 the entire time. Humitity was low 45-50% until day 18 and has been at 65% since day 19. I have 2 healthy chicks and two other eggs just starting to pip.

Yes the one in the picture moves in short sudden burst and rest. The other egg the chick has opened a small hole and it is moving as well but it's a more fast breathing movements and not a lot of activity to break out.

Here's the dilemma. Some people dont want to help, and think if a chick can't get out on its own, its not worth helping.

If you want to help, I would grab that one out quickly, and moisten the membrane (warm water with a qtip or your finger) and see if you can see what the problem might be. Dont pull the chick all the way out, let it do that part. Maybe it just missed a section of membrane and can't find the places still holding it together and is now too weak to break all the way out. Separate the membrane for it if you have to. Then quickly put it back in.

Trust your gut...

If chicks are like ducks, once you moisten the membrane, check for veins before going further. I use bacitracin (no painkillers added) with water to moisten. If there's veins then there's a chance the umbilical cord is still attached to membrane. Go slow.

This is the egg that piped about 36 hours ago. He had this hole in the egg for 24 hours and has not made any progress since last night. I expected to wake up with these hatched and their progress has come to a hault.

Back
Top Bottom