EmilyS85

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2017
Ok, I am all for vets, but I cannot go to a vet due to a financial setback. My bun, Stormi, had 4 kits yesterday morning. She is bleeding again from her private and is acting the same way she did before she delivered her last kits. I know does have two horns that can produce two seperate litters. Can this be what is happening? She's been active, eating, drinking, poo is fine, pee too. She's a first time mom however and she's not really interested in taking care of the kits. I just used another doe that had a litter 2 weeks ago to feed her 4 since she seems to be going crazy for making a nest again. She makes it, destroys it...makes it, destroys it. I don't know what exactly is going on with her, but I am worried for her and the kits.

Emily, I can't offer you any help but take some deep breaths, say a prayer until someone who is more experienced can give you some guidance. Have you checked out other blogs on line for rabbits particularly?

If you're checking on her too often it might be stressing her out. Or she could be looking for her kits. No point risking them by putting them back with her though. If she's eating and drinking I'd give her time to recoup. Hopefully the bleeding stops.

She is stressed by to much attention, New moms will even kill and eat the kits if not left alone. Even just a few peeks to see them will set new moms off or even over protective moms. In many of years raising rabbits I have never had a double batch from one rabbit. Just keep her in a quiet place kinda covered to give her space and she will be ok.
Don't give her back the kits cause she will kill them because the scent from the other mom and kits.
Good luck!

It's possible that she has more kits in there; a bit more likely that it's just one, and it's stuck. It happens. If she was my doe, I'd take her out and palpate her abdomen, see if I could feel any more in there. A lot of the time, if that's what's happening, just squeezing her belly will cause a contraction; that's a clue to keep looking (obviously, you want to be careful and gentle about this!)

Of course, it's possible that she's just being a bit of a dingbat - that's pretty normal with first-time does. I have had does that I had to block out of their nest boxes or just remove the litter for a while until they calmed down and were ready to act like they had some sense. I have had does that I had to teach about feeding their litters, because they hadn't a clue about that. I've had lots of does that have fostered other does' kits for various reasons; in over 30 years of breeding rabbits, I've only had one that deliberately savaged her kits, and one that abandoned a litter because of too much interference from me. Some have been fantastic mothers from day 1; most at least catch on eventually. Most of my rabbits know me well enough to tolerate anything I feel the need to do, though a few have felt the need to defend their litters, even from me. Every rabbit is different; until you have worked with one, you can't be sure what she will do.:rolleyes:

UPDATE:

Mama is fine. All four of her kits are healthy and she is feeding them. She refused to feed them due to me moving them from behind the toilet into a box...so I had to put them back lol. They are all doing very well. Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom