Need Reassurance & Guidance

I don't have a problem with layers. But no harm in giving her all flock or flock raiser until she lays.
Yes, she's probably moulting, and looks healthy in the photo, but keep an eye on it.
You can order or buy coops, but be sure they are good quality.

Overall, she looks good, but she could well be lonely and a friend is not a bad plan. The silkie idea is a cute one, but if you can't get one, try finding her any kind of pullet for a friend.
Thank you...How old do you think she is?

Also, she is losing feathers. I understand that chickens do molt, but since we "think" she may be a pullet, not full grown, would she be molting at this age? Could she be sick? We had lots of Santa Ana winds and smoke yesterday, wondering if that stressed her out?
It's impossible to tell a full grown birds age.
Some pullets do have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Stress(moving/smoke) can trigger a molt.

An 'All Flock' type feed is best, IMO.

I should have posted a current pic. This is today. Her feathers look less shiny. We moved her pen to the side where we have decomposed granite and she is taking dust baths. There are pine shavings on top of the DG. We also put foliage all over and some branches in the pen, so she can roost at night. We saw her once high up in a tree and thought she might feel more comfortable if we made her pen feel more bowery?

Attachments

• 16071220579901356184197261055588.jpg
    16071220579901356184197261055588.jpg
    887.7 KB · Views: 7
We saw her once high up in a tree and thought she might feel more comfortable if we made her pen feel more bowery?
Ehhh.....no need to replicate a bowery, but she does need protection from rain and wind and predators....and a roost at least 2" in thickness/diameter 12" away from walls of pen.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607122948704.png

Ehhh.....no need to replicate a bowery, but she does need protection from rain and wind and predators....and a roost at least 2" in thickness/diameter 12" away from walls of pen.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2437075
Do you have a guesstimate on her age?

She looks full grown. I've heard people say that sometimes you can roughly estimate how old they are by the length of their nails, but it's not very reliable. Keep in mind that every chicken's personality is different. I raised two Swedish flowers in the same way with the same amount of socialization, and one will climb on my shoulders while I do chores and the other will only tolerate me if I have food. A Wyandotte I raised in the same batch needs hugs otherwise she gets jealous. Especially if they are not handled a lot really early on, they might never be very friendly. There is still a good chance that she will come around if you give her lots of gentle attention.

She is beautiful! Now I want one! I think just being patient would be good for now. I have a white crested black polish who just isn’t into people. I don’t know that she ever will be but she does run to me for protection or treats, she just doesn’t like being handled. My buff laced falls asleep when I pet her crest and cuddle her, she melts into a chicken puddle. One of my tolbunt polish, Snickers jealously shoves any other chicken away from my hand so she can cuddle in and go to sleep, Gizmo my other, warms up slowly and takes her time to settle in. They all have very different personalities.

She looks full grown. I've heard people say that sometimes you can roughly estimate how old they are by the length of their nails, but it's not very reliable. Keep in mind that every chicken's personality is different. I raised two Swedish flowers in the same way with the same amount of socialization, and one will climb on my shoulders while I do chores and the other will only tolerate me if I have food. A Wyandotte I raised in the same batch needs hugs otherwise she gets jealous. Especially if they are not handled a lot really early on, they might never be very friendly. There is still a good chance that she will come around if you give her lots of gentle attention.
I have a similar experience with a group of ours, we have a group of girls, one super blue, a gold laced Wyandotte, and a black laced red Wyandotte and they were all raised the exact same way but the gold laced Wyandotte acted like I was out to kill her for once adolescence hit and forever after. The Blrw and the super blue think I am the second coming, they just have different personalities.

Back
Top Bottom