Need Reassurance & Guidance

I have a similar experience with a group of ours, we have a group of girls, one super blue, a gold laced Wyandotte, and a black laced red Wyandotte and they were all raised the exact same way but the gold laced Wyandotte acted like I was out to kill her for once adolescence hit and forever after. The Blrw and the super blue think I am the second coming, they just have different personalities.
Lol!

I have a similar experience with a group of ours, we have a group of girls, one super blue, a gold laced Wyandotte, and a black laced red Wyandotte and they were all raised the exact same way but the gold laced Wyandotte acted like I was out to kill her for once adolescence hit and forever after. The Blrw and the super blue think I am the second coming, they just have different personalities.
Thank you for the perspective...It will be a journey of discovery. We have heard the wisdom of lots of people early handling will make the difference, but also a lot of people telling us that it is too early. I guess we will just go by feel and see if she comes a round. Right now, she tolerates gentle pets through the bars when she is roosting. She will also let me stick my arm inside the door and take a blueberry from me without freaking out. We shall see!

She is beautiful! Now I want one! I think just being patient would be good for now. I have a white crested black polish who just isn’t into people. I don’t know that she ever will be but she does run to me for protection or treats, she just doesn’t like being handled. My buff laced falls asleep when I pet her crest and cuddle her, she melts into a chicken puddle. One of my tolbunt polish, Snickers jealously shoves any other chicken away from my hand so she can cuddle in and go to sleep, Gizmo my other, warms up slowly and takes her time to settle in. They all have very different personalities.
So cute! Chickens sound like toddlers!

:goodpost:
Yeah, they normally only eat what they need to. A Silkie would be a good choice, as they are one of the most docile breeds, and if you need help finding one, I'd recommend looking at the buy sell trade threads to find one in your area. It's generally not a good idea to keep two chickens together who are so far apart in age, so try your best to find a mature pullet. Pictures would be awesome!
Sorry I missed this great post earlier! I will look for that thread. Thank you so much! I am not super good on apps yet, so I miss stuff. I uploaded a few pics. (Not professional!). One of them shows her high up in a tree on the hill after she ran out while my girls cleaned her pen. We never thought we'd get her back! But we did the next day!.

Attachments

• IMG_20201130_091150761_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20201130_091150761_BURST001.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201129_152005513.jpg
    IMG_20201129_152005513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201129_152002011.jpg
    IMG_20201129_152002011.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
:goodpost:
Yeah, they normally only eat what they need to. A Silkie would be a good choice, as they are one of the most docile breeds, and if you need help finding one, I'd recommend looking at the buy sell trade threads to find one in your area. It's generally not a good idea to keep two chickens together who are so far apart in age, so try your best to find a mature pullet. Pictures would be awesome!
Do you have any tips for me on how to search for those threads? I'm not super techie. Thanks in advance for any advice😊

One thing you might do is find a chair something like this: https://www.target.com/p/stansport-sandpiper-folding-beach-sand-chair-gray/-/A-78592964#lnk=sametab
It's a nice height to sit next to the cage you have her in, she can easily see you and quietly read. Your daughters can do the same, maybe occasionally casually pass her a blueberry or something to get her used to you being around. We have some chairs like that and the girls like when I work near them. They yell at me if I am anyplace else so I sit and read/work and they like to sit on my legs. The babies are weird and like to dustbath on my lap. Either way, it's an approachable height for them, and that way I don't have to sit on the ground. it also brings your face closer to her height so you don't look like you are so far above her. It might make you guys seem less predatory.

Back
Top Bottom