Need Recommendation for wormer for water

dewgal09

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Morrow, OH
What brand of medication should I put in my peachick's water for de-worming? Is there any other medication they should be given periodically for their health? I bought something at TSC, but it just said ok for turkeys, not peafowl. Any information will be appreciated!!
hmm.png

I believe wazine is for only roundworms. I use liquid safe guard for goats like Racuda stated above. To me if your gonna worm them be sure to get more then one kind
wink.png

What do you guys use for adult peafowl? I have a hen and a cock. How often do I worm them, also they use the same water as my chickens, does that matter? Sorry so many questions, but I am new, and learning about the peafowl.
Thanks,
Donna

Donna, you should worm them at least twice a year (usually spring and fall, beginning and end of breeding season). There are several types of wormers, though probably the most popular is safeguard for goats (3cc per 1 gallon of water for 3-4 days) and ivermectin (injectable 1CC and 1CC 10 days later). Safeguard is ok for your chickens to drink as well and in fact it would be a good idea to use this if your peas are in with the chickens, as chickens can carry worms which are deadly to peafowl (ie, blackhead) but be asymptomatic. It's a good idea to rotate your wormers both so that you are covering your bases for types of worms (as some wormers only work on certain worms, ie wazine is for roundworms and won't kill flatworms like Tapeworm) and so that none become resistant to your wormer.

There are several different worming schedules out there and it will also depend on your personal situation. Where you live, exposure, how you house your birds, etc

We live in a area where it has its fair share of parasites.

We rotate wormers panacur, levamisole, valbazen, and ivermectin.

We worm 3 times a year with a closed flock. If we buy any new peafowl they get a fecal run on the droppings and wormed with panacur. Sometimes run another fecal if they had worms with first exam. This is cheap for me to do and best to know what you have instead of guessing. Can also find coccidiosis in a fecal along with fungal spores.

We worm 4 times a year if there is risk of exposure.

Most people don't worm 4 times a year, or even 3 as we usually do.
But in the beginning we had a couple of disasters with peafowl and I have not easily forgotten it.

Most dangerous and common fast killer of peafowl is cecal and capillary worm. Be sure you use a wormer in your schedule that kills these worms. Panacur (safeguard), valbazen, levamisole does kill them.

Back
Top Bottom