1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Resources for Rooster "Adoption"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ricmen, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ricmen

ricmen New Egg

Feb 19, 2007
    Lakeport, CA
    Hi,
    I posted this under Buy/Sell, but thought I'd post here, too. I live in Lake County (near Ukiah and relatively close to Santa Rosa) in California. I have two 6-month old roosters that I need to find a new home (or homes) for, as they are - not surprisingly - fighting with each other and the older alpha male rooster. In hindsight, I should have taken care of this when they were younger. Lesson learned. But now, I want to make sure they go to "good homes" and don't end up in the hands of anybody with "ill intentions" for them (e.g., cockfighting).

Any advice on how/where to find good homes would be appreciated. What would you do?

Thanks,
    A

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. TheBrilliantHen

TheBrilliantHen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Hey Keljonma, I am from Lake County too. My family lives on Cobb Mountain, and right now I live in the Bay Area.

I don't have any additional suggestions for places to put them, but I think flyering many locations is the way to go. I think Middletown, Kelseyville, Finley, Cobb, Loch Lomond, and maybe Lower Lake are likely to be good places to cross paths with someone who needs a roo. More city-ish parts of the county like Lakeport and Clearlake, less so, but it's worth trying.

When I got one of my hens, the person looking for a home asked me how much I was willing to pay for her, and then charged me nothing - she told me she just wanted to make sure I would pay more than I would for a cut up chicken at the grocery store, to be sure I would not eat it. If you're worried people will lie to you about their chicken intentions, that's one way to be pretty sure about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by