Need Resources for Rooster "Adoption"

ricmen

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 19, 2007
Lakeport, CA
Hi,
I posted this under Buy/Sell, but thought I'd post here, too. I live in Lake County (near Ukiah and relatively close to Santa Rosa) in California. I have two 6-month old roosters that I need to find a new home (or homes) for, as they are - not surprisingly - fighting with each other and the older alpha male rooster. In hindsight, I should have taken care of this when they were younger. Lesson learned. But now, I want to make sure they go to "good homes" and don't end up in the hands of anybody with "ill intentions" for them (e.g., cockfighting).

Any advice on how/where to find good homes would be appreciated. What would you do?

Thanks,
A

Hey Keljonma, I am from Lake County too. My family lives on Cobb Mountain, and right now I live in the Bay Area.

I don't have any additional suggestions for places to put them, but I think flyering many locations is the way to go. I think Middletown, Kelseyville, Finley, Cobb, Loch Lomond, and maybe Lower Lake are likely to be good places to cross paths with someone who needs a roo. More city-ish parts of the county like Lakeport and Clearlake, less so, but it's worth trying.

When I got one of my hens, the person looking for a home asked me how much I was willing to pay for her, and then charged me nothing - she told me she just wanted to make sure I would pay more than I would for a cut up chicken at the grocery store, to be sure I would not eat it. If you're worried people will lie to you about their chicken intentions, that's one way to be pretty sure about them.

Back
Top Bottom