Need roost dimensions now please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BayouPoules, Feb 6, 2011.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

DH is building as I type,..I think it may be too small.... we want two parallel 2x4 roosts,.. how far from the wall does the first one need to be and how far from it to put the second roost,... and how deep does the poop board need to be under it. Would it take less room to make the roost ladder type?
    Thanks for any help.

Large Fowl birds.

2. BayouPoules

Nevermind,. it's tooooo late,. it's built and it will have to do! [​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yikes! You post a question at 1:35 p.m. and by 1:50 p.m., it's too late for an answer? You're on a really tight building schedule. Hope everything works out the way you hope it will.

4. Mamachicks28

Mamachicks28 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    I wonder if more hubbies can be like yours. Hehehe. He's quick. Good job and hope all works well.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    You can run with it, and then if there are any issues, just takes some pics, point out what doesn't work, and we can figure it out. It is an "add to, take away process", as one of my mentors use to tell me.

6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Wow that WAS a tight schedule! Still, you can change it. I have 2x2 square "posts" from home depot that I use as roosts, poked through open spaces in the kennel fencing. One higher than the other, about 1 foot away from back wall, and the next down about 1 1/2 feet from the first roost and out another foot.

When I had buff orpingtons that I got from someone who had clipped their wings, I had to have a lot more roost because they couldn't and wouldn't fly up. They used the various roosts to hop up to the top.

You'll figure out what's best for your birds. And believe me, you'll make changes!

7. BayouPoules

Quote:Yeah ,.. I know
    Well,. I had gone outside to see what he was doing and he was just a building and sawing and hammering,.. I'm a planner,. he's a figure it out while I do it guy,.
    I was hoping there was time to get some advise,... but he just went on and did it his way,..and it turned out just fine ( It has to be,.. he's moved on)
    the poop board is 36" deep,. the first 2x4 roost is 12" from the wall and then another 14" to the next roost,.. hope it's enough,..

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Those distances will work without any problem.

9. BayouPoules

Whew,.. thanks,.. I was not going to say anything to him,. he's been working on it for months when he has the time and the money,.along with night collage,. day job, Navy reserve and side jobs for extra $,..
    he did not need to hear my opinion,.[​IMG]
    But I am sooo glad it's good!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by