Need Rooster advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I posted in another thread that my rooster died yesterday. He was 5 1/2 months old and just beginning to do his job, finding food, and taking care of his flock.

I would like your advice on getting another rooster. I have 9 hens all the same age as Roo Dude was.

I am worried about getting a rooster their age because I handled him a lot and raised him carefully to be as non agressive as I could if that is even possible.

I know I cannot get a baby and raise him for them.

what to do? My plan was to let the hens set maybe in a couple of years to take the burden of raising them in my bedroom again! Now that is dashed.

I really want your opinions and advice to help me sort this out.

Thank you,
    Ellie

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Maybe someone near you has a rooster, they loved and held too, and will be willing to get rid of him.? If you were closer, I have a wonderfull BO roo...needing a good home. He is tame..and friendly.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I really don't think it will be a problem to find a roo from another member. Go to the swap seciton in the forum. Find something that's around 10+weeks old would be my guess. Or something that is used to being handled and human contact.

4. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm so sorry to hear about your rooster!

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Deb, I would take one of your roosters in a heartbeat. I know how well you care for them.
    Thanks, littlemom. I loved that guy!

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by