Need run advice! :)

My run is made with a repurposed metal framework for a greenhouse. Actually, two. The one with the white roof is 10x10, the addition with the blue is 8x8. Nope, the roof lines don't match. Nope, I don't care. It was free.

IMG_2661.JPG

One thing you need to think about is snow load in the winter. The white roof is polycarbonate sheets at $53 each, so not cheap. The blue is a cheap tarp over chicken wire. Both held up to our winter last year, very well. I did broom off the snow whenever we got more than an inch. I will probably cover the blue tarp with a better tarp for this winter. It's gotten some holes worn into it from rubbing against the chicken wire.

I have no idea what the metal framing would cost to buy new. My neighbor "just wanted that junk out of here," and gave it to me.

Hello fellow SWPA-ian!

How big of a run area are you looking to enclose? A cattle panel hoop structure about 7-8' wide will be about 6' in the center. (keep in mind that adding woodchips and the like will fill some of that space. These are pretty easy to put up, if it looks like it could fit your needs.

I largely modeled Blooie's run:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/motel-chix

I used res's door approach (more cattle panel) and that was pretty simple.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/

I liked how dheltzel raised the door. I did that as well to be sure that snow would not block my way in.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-tractor.69336/

I used 21hens-incharge's cover technique with landscape fabric in the summer and plastic in the winter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rdware-cloth-need-to-go.1395404/post-22909255

View attachment 3209285

View attachment 3209293
That's great! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely consider it! :)

Dahn

Thanks so much for the advice! I may forgo the T posts and just do the 4x4 posts instead. Our tractor supply sells 6 foot fencing so I wouldn't have an issue with height. But you're right about the T posts. They may not be tall enough since you lose some height when you drive it into the ground.

Thanks again! :)

We searched around and found a TSC within driving distance (30 min) and bought 8ft and they worked quite well for us! I was surprised that TSC stores are all over the country! (never stepped foot into one prior to raising chickens, now they are one of our favorite stores! bought all our beekeeping supplies there, too!)

Alright, its been two weeks+. I'm curious - did you decide to go the hoop coop route, did you settle on something else, are you still decision making???
Tomorrow is fence day! I've been delayed because my father has been in the hospital/rehab so my off days have been with him so no work on the fence. The coop is finished though! I will post pictures. :)

I decided to go with the 4 foot fencing (possibly higher, depending on what I find at Tractor Supply) with the T-posts. I will be covering with netting to protect from hawks.

The only part I'm nervous about is the door. I'm trying to figure out the best option for that.

Thanks for asking! I will post photos when it's all done. :)

Dahn

I decided to go with.......T-posts.

The only part I'm nervous about is the door. I'm trying to figure out the best option for that.
I have an add-on run that uses T-posts to support the fencing. For the door I reused the old wood-framed door off our old coop's run. To hinge off the T-post, I used plumber's tape to attach a 2x3, so I could screw the door's hinges to something.
View media item 7946450

Chicken coop is almost done!! Just put mulch down and put a pole up for a mesh cover so the hawks don’t get them. Just have to find something big enough to go over top. 🤔

I think it looks amazing and I am SO HAPPY with it. Just want to get done so I can get my girls!!!!

Attachments

• 655D9359-E79E-41F7-8C7D-E848AAF250B9.jpeg
    655D9359-E79E-41F7-8C7D-E848AAF250B9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom