Need some advice on feed. Got a dead Hen :'(

Anthony-Smith

Chirping
Apr 16, 2019
Hey Y'all, got a question concerning chicken feed. Bear with me here.

What has me thinking about feed is the fact that one of my hens (an Isa Brown) passed away yesterday. The cause of her death is unknown. She seemed absolutely fine just the day before! That being said, I wasn't paying the closest attention to her, or any of my chickens for that matter as nothing stuck out to me as being "wrong". If there was something going on, I didn't notice it. I found her in the coop at night just laying on the floor, dead. Rigor mortis hadn't fully developed yet when I found her, so she wasnt dead that long.

A quick search online, and I found out that Isa Browns have an average life-span of 2 - 3 years. I purchased all of my Isa Browns a little over 3 years ago. Funny thing is, she is the ONLY hen I have that I don't know her age. She wandered on to our yard, and my wife put her in our coop thinking she had escaped. Upon examining her, I found a loose zip tie around her leg, and knew she wasn't ours. I couldn't find the owner, so we kept her. So I don't know how old she was.

So, hopefully she died of old age. But, to be thorough, I decided to examine all other death possibilities. Aside from things like parasites, sudden chicken death, disease, eggs not passing (It could be any of those, as I have not done an autopsy. Is this even possible on a hen that now fully has rigor mortis?), the only other thing I could figure was the feed, or water.

I JUST changed the kind of water feeder they had. It was a gift from my grandmother. It has two little cups with a peg in each. When the peg is moved, it fills the cup with water and they can suck it out. The original water feeder was the standard kind you can get at Tractor Supply. They kept kicking dirt in it, so I had to fill it more often. Maybe she died of dehydration with the new device? The only other thing I can consider is their feed. I get the Dunmore 16% layer feed at Tractor Supply. I have used this stuff for over 3 years now, and haven't had any problems. That being said, I always mix it with cracked corn. Two scoops layer feed, 1 to 1 1/2 scoop of corn. I just found out that chickens need at least 16% protein, and mixing this much corn in the mix may be too much!? Ive done this for the duration of their life and never had any problems however.

Well, given that Ive had my Isa browns for over 3 years, I'm beginning to prepare to purchase more hens to replace them.
I currently have a mixed brood of 3 Easter eggers, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Leghorns, 1 Rhode Island Red, and now 2 Isa Browns (and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster). I'm thinking about getting a few different kind of breeds in the next batch (Ameraucanas, more RR's etc). I'm looking for the cheapest feed solution that wont be a strain on their health. Should I not mix corn, or maybe not mix that much? Maybe I need to add oyster shells? I don't want to waste a bunch of my time finding free/cheap ways to feed my birds. They are cheap, and IMO not worth dedicating a bunch of my time too making sure I can do things in a self sustainable manner (which is an idea I love btw, but from what Ive seen it takes more time than I currently have available).

Sorry for the long post, but any help with all of this would be great!

I’d be very surprised if it was the food. I’ve found mold in the bottom of my feed bags and chickens were all fine. I also feed them Dumor layers, pretty much always have. I have some corn for treats as well. My uncle feeds his almost all corn because he doesn’t care about eggs.

Sometimes chickens can just get sick and die, I personally don’t think it’s worth the money to get tested (I think someone suggested that). I’d be more concerned if it happens to another chicken in the flock. I also do think bringing back the old waterer and maybe filling it less than you used to so hopefully they can wean off of it and use the other new one. (I’m so lazy I hang a waterer with nipples in the outdoor area in the summer and run a hose to it LOL)
Looks like you and I are the same kind of chicken keepers, lol. If lazy is efficient, I'm doin it! I don't think its worth getting them tested either. Chickens are cheap, and thats partly why they are great. Ill try that weaning off method. Hopefully that will alleviate my concerns as far as their water goes.

Hey Y'all, got a question concerning chicken feed. Bear with me here.

What has me thinking about feed is the fact that one of my hens (an Isa Brown) passed away yesterday. The cause of her death is unknown. She seemed absolutely fine just the day before! That being said, I wasn't paying the closest attention to her, or any of my chickens for that matter as nothing stuck out to me as being "wrong". If there was something going on, I didn't notice it. I found her in the coop at night just laying on the floor, dead. Rigor mortis hadn't fully developed yet when I found her, so she wasnt dead that long.

A quick search online, and I found out that Isa Browns have an average life-span of 2 - 3 years. I purchased all of my Isa Browns a little over 3 years ago. Funny thing is, she is the ONLY hen I have that I don't know her age. She wandered on to our yard, and my wife put her in our coop thinking she had escaped. Upon examining her, I found a loose zip tie around her leg, and knew she wasn't ours. I couldn't find the owner, so we kept her. So I don't know how old she was.

So, hopefully she died of old age. But, to be thorough, I decided to examine all other death possibilities. Aside from things like parasites, sudden chicken death, disease, eggs not passing (It could be any of those, as I have not done an autopsy. Is this even possible on a hen that now fully has rigor mortis?), the only other thing I could figure was the feed, or water.

I JUST changed the kind of water feeder they had. It was a gift from my grandmother. It has two little cups with a peg in each. When the peg is moved, it fills the cup with water and they can suck it out. The original water feeder was the standard kind you can get at Tractor Supply. They kept kicking dirt in it, so I had to fill it more often. Maybe she died of dehydration with the new device? The only other thing I can consider is their feed. I get the Dunmore 16% layer feed at Tractor Supply. I have used this stuff for over 3 years now, and haven't had any problems. That being said, I always mix it with cracked corn. Two scoops layer feed, 1 to 1 1/2 scoop of corn. I just found out that chickens need at least 16% protein, and mixing this much corn in the mix may be too much!? Ive done this for the duration of their life and never had any problems however.

Well, given that Ive had my Isa browns for over 3 years, I'm beginning to prepare to purchase more hens to replace them.
I currently have a mixed brood of 3 Easter eggers, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Leghorns, 1 Rhode Island Red, and now 2 Isa Browns (and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock Rooster). I'm thinking about getting a few different kind of breeds in the next batch (Ameraucanas, more RR's etc). I'm looking for the cheapest feed solution that wont be a strain on their health. Should I not mix corn, or maybe not mix that much? Maybe I need to add oyster shells? I don't want to waste a bunch of my time finding free/cheap ways to feed my birds. They are cheap, and IMO not worth dedicating a bunch of my time too making sure I can do things in a self sustainable manner (which is an idea I love btw, but from what Ive seen it takes more time than I currently have available).

Sorry for the long post, but any help with all of this would be great!

I highly doubt it’s the feed or ratio. People feed their chickens only cracked corn and they’re fine. Did you ever observe her drinking from the new waterer? Could be dehydration. If her butt is bloody that means she was pecked by others probably due to some sort of infection. I’d just watch to make sure the other chickens are drinking fine.

I 100% understand, my girls also love to throw shaving into their water. I have a hanging waterer (that they use but definitely enjoy the open waterer more). The water level is pretty normal to go down slower as less water is wasted but could also indicate chickens not drinking. My best advice would be to give them back their old waterer (but keep the new one) and raise it. I have my waterer on a heating platform for winter and leave it in all year because they can’t throw shaving in it up higher.

Here are some pics to explain, if you don’t have a heating platform you can always use blocks of wood or really anything to get that waterer about 2-3inches off the ground.
View attachment 2148792View attachment 2148794
Thanks for the photos! I was thinking about giving them the old waterer back to see if they all rush over to it. I used to hang their water feeder in the coop like that, but I haven't done it ever since we moved and built them a new coop. The one I have is actually outside of the fence with the little cups inserted past the wires holes where they can drink it (per its design), so that all I have to do is fill it up (no moving required). Tried to make my life a little easier, but alas, I may have to go back to tried and true methods.....

So if its not food, and its unlikely that its water I guess, then its something else that killed her. Hopefully just age.

Thanks for the photos! I was thinking about giving them the old waterer back to see if they all rush over to it. I used to hang their water feeder in the coop like that, but I haven't done it ever since we moved and built them a new coop. The one I have is actually outside of the fence with the little cups inserted past the wires holes where they can drink it (per its design), so that all I have to do is fill it up (no moving required). Tried to make my life a little easier, but alas, I may have to go back to tried and true methods.....

So if its not food, and its unlikely that its water I guess, then its something else that killed her. Hopefully just age.

I’d be very surprised if it was the food. I’ve found mold in the bottom of my feed bags and chickens were all fine. I also feed them Dumor layers, pretty much always have. I have some corn for treats as well. My uncle feeds his almost all corn because he doesn’t care about eggs.

Sometimes chickens can just get sick and die, I personally don’t think it’s worth the money to get tested (I think someone suggested that). I’d be more concerned if it happens to another chicken in the flock. I also do think bringing back the old waterer and maybe filling it less than you used to so hopefully they can wean off of it and use the other new one. (I’m so lazy I hang a waterer with nipples in the outdoor area in the summer and run a hose to it LOL)

Well you taught me something: I didn't know ISA Browns only lived 3-4 years. I don't have much advise other than to probably not add corn at all except as an occasional treat. During the winter, some people believe that corn helps keep chickens warmer in very cold climates, but I think the jury's out with that one. People also seem to either love or hate Dumor. But if that is what is cheapest and it has done well for you over the years, I probably wouldn't change.

You can have a separate oyster shell feeder, especially if they don't free range, they will eat it if they need it, but the layer feed will have calcium in it.

I highly doubt it’s the feed or ratio. People feed their chickens only cracked corn and they’re fine. Did you ever observe her drinking from the new waterer? Could be dehydration. If her butt is bloody that means she was pecked by others probably due to some sort of infection. I’d just watch to make sure the other chickens are drinking fine.

Butt isn't bloody. I know Ive seen other chickens drink out of it. Cant remember if I saw her drink out of it or not. I just worry because the water level is going down slowly. At least, slower than it used too. That was the point with this feeder though. They would kick a bunch of crap up in the old water feeder which would soak up the water, which would in turn make it drain a lot faster.

Butt isn't bloody. I know Ive seen other chickens drink out of it. Cant remember if I saw her drink out of it or not. I just worry because the water level is going down slowly. At least, slower than it used too. That was the point with this feeder though. They would kick a bunch of crap up in the old water feeder which would soak up the water, which would in turn make it drain a lot faster.

I 100% understand, my girls also love to throw shaving into their water. I have a hanging waterer (that they use but definitely enjoy the open waterer more). The water level is pretty normal to go down slower as less water is wasted but could also indicate chickens not drinking. My best advice would be to give them back their old waterer (but keep the new one) and raise it. I have my waterer on a heating platform for winter and leave it in all year because they can’t throw shaving in it up higher.

Here are some pics to explain, if you don’t have a heating platform you can always use blocks of wood or really anything to get that waterer about 2-3inches off the ground.
D4CC6CE8-70CD-48C1-BBE7-8238BA31C880.jpeg
B079E21E-9DC0-4984-B2A9-FC9C9D47E562.png

Back
Top Bottom