Need some advice on my limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nancyfau, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Nancyfau

Nancyfau New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    I have a White Leghorn that has been limping for a week now. It is her left leg & she puts no weight on it. She does like to fly up on the top of the coop. So I'm hoping she sprained it. I was able to put her on her back in my lap & examine both legs. At the time, I could not find any differences. She does not have any sores on the bottom of her feet so I ruled out Bumblefoot. I took her out & confined her, but she has not gotten any better. She eats & drinks fine. But she has stopped laying. Today, I reexamined her & noticed that there is a little swelling in the elbow(?) joint. She did hop up on the edge of the box I have her in, but again, she puts no weight on the left leg. I thought about taking her back out to the coop/run to be with her pals, but not sure I should. I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet? I appreciate any feedback.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How long has she had the injury? Swollen hocks can be from an injury or from some different conditions, such as a leg bone deformity causing a tendon to rupture, mycoplasma synoviae (MS,) viral arthritis or tenosynovitis. More than likely, though, it is an injury. My large hen who suffered a bad sprained limped for 5 weeks before she got better, and high roosts were to blame. A baby aspirin twice a day given by mouth or hidden in food, may help with inflammation in the joint. If you have seen any respiratory disease in your flock, then MS would be more a concern. A vet is always a good thing if you don't see improvement.

3. Nancyfau

Nancyfau New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    She has been limping for a week now. All the other hens seem to be healthy, no respiratory, etc. Our roost are about 12-18 inches high. She has also stopped laying. She has been confined the whole week now, but since yesterday, seems anxious to get out of confinement. Yesterday & today, whenever I remove the wire top to the container I have her in, she immediately hops up on the edge & sits. Balancing with 1 wing of course. I'm tempted to put her back out with the other girls but afraid to do so yet. I will also try the aspirin treatment. I appreciate your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by