Need some Brinsea Incubator advice before I spend $500

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
Octagon 40 DX Incubator with autoturn cradle, What do you all think if this? Is it worth the money. I am using little giants and they have worked fine but I am ready to upgrade. Anyone with this bator please give me you experiences with it.

Thanks

I do not know personally, but I have read that the RCom is more user friendly/set it and forget it. If I had the money and room for all the chicks, I would get the Rcom.

Purplechicken has one, and told me it was great. I was thinking of getting one, but am having trouble getting myself to spend that much, when for about the same you can get a sportsman. I don't need to hatch that many eggs though
lol.png
So I don't know what I want to do. Good luck in your choice.

Quote:
I have one and I love it, love it, love it! I think it is well worth the money. You can set everything from goose eggs to quail eggs because the way the turner is designed. The one con I have is you cant really watch the hatches threw the top window and see them as well as some other incubators. I still use my LG as a hatcher because I love to watch tchicks hatch. The Octagon does hold temp really well nad if the room does get cool the incubator is not effected that much as the LG are. I bought mine strait from Brinsea. They had the lowest price and I think shipping was cheaper than other places. Good Luck!

Quote:
I have a sportsman to and I like it, but I still trust my Brinsea more. I think it is just because I've had it longer
lol.png

Quote:
You are probably comparing the Octagon 40 with the Octagon 20 EX

The 20 EX is expensive because it has built in auto-humidity, which is an expensive option on the Octagon 40.

I had an Octagon 20 in England. To my utter disgust I left it there when I moved to the US.

Two things about the 20 that some don't like. It turns the whole incubator, not just the eggs, and visibility through the top can be less than perfect.

On the other hand ....... features in common with the 40 are wonderful temp control, easy humidity control, near indestructible build quality (despite the flimsy *feel* of some parts ... versatility .... Parrot breeders trust their very expensive eggs to them.

You will not be disappointed with an Octagon 40. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I also like the GQF Sportsman, and the R-Com, although the biggest R-Com is 20 egg, it appeals to the Geek in me
smile.png

ps ... it's not really fair to compare these incubators with the Styrofoam ones. GQF and LG have produced machines for years that give reasonable success to many who simply couldn't incubate without them. The incubators you are considering are moving into the realms of Pro machines.

I bought the Octagon 40 and I love it.
love.gif
To give you an idea of how much I'm considering buying another one. I have an LG and a Tophatch which I will probably never use again because I like my Oct 40 too much.

Donna

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom