Need some cheap coop ideas

kbbeale

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Adkins, Tx
With Christmas right around the corner, we wont have a lot of extra to put big bux into a new coop - but I'm needing more room *want more birds* LOL

I'd like something that has a run as well, but needs to be relatively preditor proof. I'm thinking 6x??? What's cheap to put together and looks appealing to the eyes as well?

Thanks

My son has constructed alot of small coops for me using old pallets. He takes them apart for slats and some he uses the whole pallet for framing. That way he only needs a sheet of plywood for the floor and roof. He uses lots of recycled wood. He built me a small porch all out of recycled wood. You would be amazed at what you can come up with. He has been using recycled wood from an elevator company lately some of their pallets are 4 x 6 and larger. framed with 4"x4" pieces. He has also gotten some really beautiful sheets of 1 inch finished plywood from them Check around locally and you might find a gold mine

Also keep your eyes open for construction sites, I just picked up some beautiful plywood (mostly cut in half, so like 4 x 4) but nice and clean and thick (flooring kind).

Also here on BYC I've seen people do amazing things with dog houses, kids play houses and even wooden swingsets. I think many small sturctures could be adapted with a little ingenuity.

If you see something that looks promising just post about it and you'll get lots of supportive feedback!

Phyllis

Try Craig,s list in your area. They have all kinds of kids playscapes and houses... or junk sheds, or construction material. The old saying about one person's trash is another person's chicken coop and run holds true.
Good luck with the project and the new chicks. Remember, no matter how big you make it this time, it will be too small again!!
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom