Need some expertise on sexing

Mwilliams32931

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
I don't know if you can tell from this picture because I just can't figure out the sexes. They all look alike to me and I can't vent sex without getting pooped on.

Lol

They're quail, right? If so males usually have brighter plumage, while the females are more dour. They also have bigger plume and make different noises. They all look like females to me,but I'm more of a chicken person...

I don't know if you can tell from this picture because I just can't figure out the sexes. They all look alike to me and I can't vent sex without getting pooped on.

Lol
From a glance, the two on the out sides look like males. Check the breast feathers, if you see rust on them then they're male. If it's lighter & no rust (reddish) then it's a female.

From a glance, the two on the out sides look like males. Check the breast feathers, if you see rust on them then they're male. If it's lighter & no rust (reddish) then it's a female.
Personally, I'd go with spots and no spots. Or lots of obvious spots and few, if any, spots. Both male and females can have rust coloring. The females have very distinctive spots on their breasts and lighter rust coloring, if any, while the males have fewer spots and much more rust than the females. This becomes more obvious after 4 or 5 weeks, but as you get experience, you can sometimes see the differences earlier. The female rust coloring is not usually whole feathers--just the ends like accents, whereas the male rust coloring involves whole feathers. Additionally, female rust usually appears more on the lower and very outer breast, while male rust appears higher up (starting under the neck--where the females start their spots) and over the actual breast.

There are some good pictures on this site and on the internet. Google coturnix feather sexing, or something like that, and I am sure you will find some.

Last edited:
Spot method is by far the easiest, as mentioned above. Also, I've found my males have much darker beaks. After that, I just check the size and missing feathers around the vent. Females, that are being mated often and laying eggs regularly will have a red, feather-lacking vent. Finally, just watch and listen. You will see the males piggy back(mating), as well as making their crows.

Back
Top Bottom