Need some extra suggestions to get pullets in a nesting box.

Chickenmanjim7

Chirping
Sep 16, 2015
Aberdeen, Washington
ok I have 6 year old hens currently molting so they aren't laying that often. This year I have 4 pullets that are like machines each day. For the life of me I can not get them to lay in the nest boxes. They always pick one corner of the coop. I even moved a box to that corner and laid next to it. The barred rock will even charge me if I am in the coop while she is on her nest lol. Any suggestions? i have tried the fake egg etc. and they just don't have any interest.

Some of my flock did the same when I put deep litter in the coop. Its no inconvenience to me, so i leave them to it. Sorry, that does not help answer your question, I'm just offering another way to approach the issue.

CT

ok I have 6 year old hens currently molting so they aren't laying that often. This year I have 4 pullets that are like machines each day. For the life of me I can not get them to lay in the nest boxes. They always pick one corner of the coop. I even moved a box to that corner and laid next to it. The barred rock will even charge me if I am in the coop while she is on her nest lol. Any suggestions? i have tried the fake egg etc. and they just don't have any interest.

Is there a step up into your nest boxes? I took the fake eggs/golf balls out too, this first pic is the first day.
Mine wouldn't step over the 4" lip to jump in when they were starting out for ANYTHING.
I had to build them steps, yes, steps, to get them to enter the nesting box- so I made a little staircase out of 2x2's.

Back
Top Bottom