Need some extra suggestions to get pullets in a nesting box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenmanjim7, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    ok I have 6 year old hens currently molting so they aren't laying that often. This year I have 4 pullets that are like machines each day. For the life of me I can not get them to lay in the nest boxes. They always pick one corner of the coop. I even moved a box to that corner and laid next to it. The barred rock will even charge me if I am in the coop while she is on her nest lol. Any suggestions? i have tried the fake egg etc. and they just don't have any interest.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Some of my flock did the same when I put deep litter in the coop. Its no inconvenience to me, so i leave them to it. Sorry, that does not help answer your question, I'm just offering another way to approach the issue.

CT

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Is there a step up into your nest boxes? I took the fake eggs/golf balls out too, this first pic is the first day.
    Mine wouldn't step over the 4" lip to jump in when they were starting out for ANYTHING.
    I had to build them steps, yes, steps, to get them to enter the nesting box- so I made a little staircase out of 2x2's.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by