need some feed back on my Hen

spoiledgachix

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2015
Georgia
Hi, I am not sure if I should be worried or not but my 1 1/2 year old Brahma has stopped laying eggs for about over a week. So what I have discovered is she is molting since she is losing feathers like crazy. I read some post on this and have tried to give her protein (yogurt and crumbles and blueberries) but she will not eat it and this is very unusual for her She loves blueberries. Tonight was my big concerned. I tried to feed her again and she won't have it. So when she went back to the coop with the other girls she couldn't get up on the perch! She kept falling off. She then gave up and went in the nesting box. I felt her crop and it didn't seem full. I am so concerned. She is my only girl that survived my first batch of Chicks Two died from Mereck's and the other from Ovarian Ca and her signs where unable to get on her perch!! Should I be worried? Is it that she is weak from molting?? Tomorrow I am going to give her some vitamins, I also am going to give her some dog or cat food (which is better?) and does it need to be canned or can I soak and soften some lab and rice dog food? I guess I will need to syringe feed her if she doesn't eat? I just don't want to stress her out.

This girl is my favorite one and always has been. She is my sweet girl and I am very attached to her so I am very worried about her!! Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

Molting can put a strain on them and some feel it more than others. I have noticed that some hens don't seem to feel as comfortable during molt and will go off in behavior, including wanting to sleep away from the flock ,etc. Was she not able to get up to the roost as in she was trying to fly up and couldnt' make the flight?

She flew up but couldn't stay on the roost. She tried twice and fell back down. I helped her once and she just flapped her wings and when I let go she fell back down. It's like she couldn't balance. She is also molting alot on her feet. She has no hair on them. Poor girl. It's not like her. She has always been my healthy one. She does want to be near the girls. She used to not let them on her perch (she is the head girl so she would sleep in the middle one and the others in the lower or upper ones). It's weird that all of the sudden she wants to be near them and last couple of nights she has sleep near them on the same perch. I know it has to stress her that she can't get up there with them and sleep where she is used to sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom